DIE GRAPHISCHEN KUNSTE DER GEGENWART, by Theodor Goebel - 1895 [1st Ed]
Die Graphischen Künste Der Gegenwart Ein Fuhrer Durch Das Buchgewerbe
(The Graphic Arts of the Present Time)
by August Theodor Goebel
Presumed First Edition. Text in German. Stuttgart, Germany: Felix Krais, 1895.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Red cloth boards are beveled with gilt trim.
- Binding is secure.
- Copper plate is missing from front board and has left a light sheen of adhesive residue.
- Strong rounded spine with six raised bands holds book secure.
- Spine shows fading to cloth and gilt, and exhibits some scuffing to shoulders, with crushed ends.
- Perimeters exhibit moderate wear, with bumped corners and scuffing along edges, exposing board in places.
- Pastedowns are a beautiful custom paper with gilt pattern.
- Front pastedown has a bookplate.
- Front fep has a penciled inscription and signature.
- Interior is free of writing and intentional marks.
- Inside pages exhibit different degrees of age-toning, some smudges and some scattered foxing.
- Marbled text block edges are a little dusty.
- A couple pages are upcut, rising out of top of textblock.
- Text pages 61-64 are uncut along top edge. (At least)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Goebel's very scarce book surveying the Graphic Arts of the 19th century. Text in German. Fine 19th century binding includes rounded spine with six raised bands and beveled boards bound in red cloth with gilt trim on front.
A prolific writer and notable printer, August Theodor Goebel (1829-1916) angered traditionalists when he published this book that brought printing history up-to-date. Relatively short chapters are enhanced with many beautiful samples of ads and illustration plates demonstrating different styles and printing techniques. "The book is a 'state of the art' survey of printing techniques to the turn of the last century, including etching, engraving, photogravure, heliogravure, phototypies, lichtdruck or collotype, autotype, lithography, chromolithography, and much more. There are examples of paper for playing cards in color (spielkarten), maps in color (landkartendruck) and other special papers. Near the end is an astonishing progressive series of lithographic proofs showing a bird’s eye view of the actual Neue Papier factory." (Princeton Graphic Arts blog). 228 pages of text + bibliography + many pages of ads at end. 11 X 14 inches.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore