DIE ANTIKEN MUNZEN VON EPIRUS, by Peter Robert Franke - 1961 [Vol. 1]$95.00
Die Antiken Munzen von Epirus Volume 1 Poleis, Stamme und Epirotischer Bund Bis 27 v. Chr: Katalog und Untersuchungen
by Peter Robert Franke
From - Deutsches Archäologisches Institut und Kommission für Alte geschichte und Epigraphik: Antiken Münzen von Epirus (Google translation: German Archaeological Institute and Commission for Ancient History and Epigraphy: Ancient coins of Epirus)
Plates only. Text is in Volume 2.
Wiesbaden, Germany: Franz Steiner Verlag, 1961.
Folio is overall in VERY GOOD condition with VERY GOOD plates.
- Volume is in portfolio style and features a gilt decoration on front.
- Volume displays minor overall wear and aging.
- Blue cloth covers display minor fading and fraying along edges, as well as some dust and brown dry staining along lower edges on both boards, and along shoulder on front. (See photos)
- Spine features gilt lettering, and exhibits a little fading, as well as a light bump to foot.
- Interior of folio exhibits some foxing.
- Unbound. Loose plates are secured in folio.
- Plates are clean and well preserved, showing minimal overall toning and rare occasional smudges.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Plates display light overall edgewear, with rare occasional creasing. A small 0.75" crease/tear is visible at upper left corner of title page. (See photos)
- Plates display some foxing and dust along head, as well as rare, minimal foxing in margins and on blank pages.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
67 plates. 8 x 10.75 inches.
Handsome clean plates maintained in blue cloth portfolio featuring gilt design on front.
This collection of ancient coins originates from Epirus, a region in northwestern Greece, bordering West Macedonia, Thessaly, the Ionian Sea and Albania. Epirus has a long past of coin-making, and the first coins date from before the region became a kingdom. A German numismatist and historian, Peter Robert Franke gathered coins from all parts of the region, and offers a wide range of periods until 27 BC, as well as some images of stamps and sculptures.
67 captioned plates. Title and captions are in German.
PROVENANCE: signature of Irwin Loeb Meyer on front pastedown, dated February 1963.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore