DICTIONARY OF PAINTERS & ENGRAVERS, by Michael Bryan - 1816 [2 Vols, 1st Ed]
A Biographical and Critical Dictionary of Painters and Engravers,
from the Revival of the Art under Cimabue, and the Alledged Discovery of Engraving by Finiguerra, to the Present Time: with the Ciphers, Monograms, and Marks, used by Each Engraver; and an Ample List of their Principal Works
by Michael Bryan
FIRST EDITION, Two Volumes. Signed fine binding, with all the trimmings. London: Carpenter and Son, J. Booker, and Whittingham & Arliss, 1816.
Hardbacks are overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- Handsome set of two volumes features fine binding by "J. Wright, Noel Street" with red leather covers and gilt filigree on front and rounded spine, as well as gilt dentelle along edges of boards. Additionally features five raised bands and title blocks on spine, as well as colorful patterned endpapers and AEG.
- Volumes exhibit gentle overall wear and aging.
- Boards display some darkening along edges, going 2" maximum into covers, and gentle rubbing.
- Volume 1:
- has a 1" x 0.5" scuff on front cover near foot edge;
- displays some black staining along head edge on front cover, on an area of 2" x 1.25", as well as some black spots on back;
- interior is gently age-toned with a persistent damp stain to head corner of pages, affecting front feps up to first page of text after introduction;
- frontispiece if affected by stain on a 1.25" x 3" area, and displays foxing, marginal as well as in illustration. (See photos)
- Volume 2
- displays some small scuffs to front cover;
- has three scuffs to leather on back cover, longest being horizontal in center and about 4" long;
- half-title page displays a 7" vertical crease from foot, ending in some warping;
- feps and title page show some foxing;
- newspaper cutting has left offset on opposite page;
- foxing is light inside. (See photos)
- Spines are gently darkened, with rubbing and some scuffs more notably to raised bands. Shoulders are rubbed.
- Binding is secure in both volumes.
- Illustrations are well preserved with gentle toning, and many with notable foxing.
- Interior displays occasional frequent, yet light marginal foxing, more pronounced on last pages.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges have AEG, and are still vibrant, with some dust.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
707 pages (Vol 1) + 822 pages (Vol 2). 9.5 x 12.25 inches.
Beautiful set of two volumes features a signed fine binding by "J. Wright, Noel Street." Books feature vibrant red leather covers with gilt on front and rounded spine. Spines have five raised bands with two title blocks. Patterned endpapers show colorful design. AEG and gilt dentelle along edges.
Volume 1 features a frontispiece as well as an Introduction on the painters of Antiquity, followed by five plates showing monograms used by engravers. Volumes feature two indexes, one alphabetical and one chronological.
This remarkable work is presented as a dictionary putting together the greatest painters and engravers in alphabetical order. Each artist is presented in a short biography, with valuable information such as their greatest work, their major innovation, the reason for their importance in the art world, etc. Covering a wide historical span, from the earliest times in Western art to the time contemporary to the book, it is a masterful achievement in art literature as well as a priceless reference for scholars and art lovers alike.
Michael Bryan was an English art historian, art dealer and connoisseur.
PROVENANCE: Illustrated bookplate of Hiram Edmund Deats of Flemington, NJ on front pastedown, numbered 1078 and 1079. Hiram Edmund Deats (1870-1963) was a philatelist, especially acclaimed for his collection of revenue stamps.
EDITION POINTS: First Edition.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore