DIALOGI DE REPUBLICA VENETORUM, by Donato Giannotti - 1631 [Vellum]
Dialogi de Republica Venetorum;
De republica Veneta notae
by Donato Giannotti and Niccolo Crasso
Leiden: Officina Elzevir, 1631; 1642
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Contemporary vellum covers with flaps have binder's stitches at shoulders.
- Boards show signs commensurate with their age. Warping, smudges and some staining, edgewear. Corners, with vellum flaps, are bumped.
- Spine has inked text, effaced, with bumped ends.
- Binding is strong.
- Pastedowns and feps have some spotting, writing, a chip at head edge. See photos.
- Title page showing the Venetian lion, engraved by Claude Duysend.
- Title page to second part (at page 267) shows the Elzevir tree printer's mark. See photos.
- Illustrated plates, mentioned in the text, ARE MISSING.
- Interior is age-toned, print quality in both Roman and Italic fonts is crisp and clear. A few scattered stains as at pg. 47, 188. See photos.
- Text block edges are a little dusty.
467 pages, plus Index. 2.25 x 4.25 inches
A Defense of Republicanism. An in-depth study of the institutions of the Venetian republic by the Florentine author Donato Giannotti. First published in 1540, it was written in hopes of establishing a similar, representative form of government in Florence. The "Notes" (second part) are by Niccolò Crasso.
This volume, in contemporary vellum binding, contains two of the three parts mentioned in the opening pages and referenced in descriptions of the first Elzevir edition of Giannotti's work. The third part on the form of the Venetian Republic and the seven fold-out plates are missing.
While incomplete with respect to the matters laid out in the opening pages, this little book remains a fine exemplar of the books printed by the House of Elzevir in the early 17th century. The detail of the title pages and the quality of the text blocks are all the more notable given the very small 24vo format.
Printed at Leiden in the Officina Elzeviriana.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore