DESTRUCTION: THE STRANGE CASE OF A.D. PAYNE, by Harry Montgomery - 1930 [1st Ed]
Destruction: The Strange Case of A.D. Payne
by Harry Montgomery
Published by: S.J. Payne. Amarillo, Texas. 1930. First Edition. 95 pages. 6.25" by 9.25".
Features photographic reproductions including a portrait of A.D. Payne and an artist's rendering of Payne's requested gravestone with epitaph and two facsimile pages from his personal diary.
Softback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- Orange paper wraps featuring cover illustration exhibit signs of commensurate age and wear.
- Wraps are age-toned, scuffed and soiled and exhibit prominent creases, most notably along the front cover where there is a 2.25" tear along the uppermost portion of the hinge. Please see photos.
- Corners are bumped and rubbed.
- Spine is darkened with pushed and rubbed ends.
- Binding is secure.
- Frontispiece is present and intact.
- Illustrations are intact and unworn.
- Ephemera is present and age-toned.
- Interior is gently age-toned with the occasional smudge and foxing while the final two pages exhibit open tears to the stapled portions of the gutter. Please see photos.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Ephemera: A newspaper clipping dated August 10, 1930 featuring the transcript of a letter written by A.D. Payne while in his cell.
This is the strange story of a man who was outwardly normal. A.D. Payne was not different from the rest of us, so far as his habits, his morals, and his desires and ambitions were concerned. He lived and moved amongst his neighbours and friends in a conventional manner. He was a fairly successful lawyer, and had been unusually successful as a school superintendent. In other words, he was not a freak, and for that reason his story is more interesting. Payne had been happily married more than fourteen years when he became obsessed with the idea of killing his wife and his son, "of his own flesh and blood."
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore