DE LA DISTRIBUTION DES MAISONS DE PLAISANCE, by Jacques-Francois Blondel - 1967 [2 Vols]$325.00
De la Distribution des Maisons de Plaisance, et de la Decoration des Edifices en General 2 Volumes
(On the Distribution of Pleasure Palaces, and on the Decoration of Buildings in General)
by Jacques-Francois Blondel
with 160 plates engraved by the author
Two Volumes. Text in French. Reprint of 1737 edition. Farnborough, England: Gregg Press Limited, 1967.
Hardbacks are overall in VERY GOOD+ condition.
- Volumes feature antiquarian binding with blue cloth covers and gilt on rounded spines.
- Books display minor overall aging with remarkably preserved interiors.
- Both volumes display some damp staining along shoulder.
- Volume 1
- shows damp stain going 1.75" into cover from shoulder, along front. (See photos)
- and has a slight convex bow to front board visible from head edge.
- Volume 2
- shows damp stain along back shoulder, going 2" into cover from shoulder. (See photos)
- and displays some white staining on front cover. (See photos)
- and has a mild concave bow along fore edge of front board.
- Boards exhibit little to no edgewear.
- Spines are lightly sunned, and show a little bumping to heads.
- Binding is secure in both volumes.
- Illustrations and fold-outs are bright and clear, with little signs of aging and wear.
- Interior is in remarkable condition, and shows little to no apparent wear.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges display little wear and aging.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
198 pages (Vol 1) + 180 pages (Vol 2). 7.75 x 10.75 inches.
Volumes feature antiquarian style binding with blue cloth covers, and gilt lettering on rounded spines.
Volumes feature splendid decorations inside with numerous fold-out maps, engraved by the author. Possible facsimile of original.
These two spectacular volumes gather the written work of Jacques-Francois Blondel on architecture, as well as his maps for some of his architectural masterpieces. Castles, palaces, stately homes, mansions, and all kinds of public buildings were masterfully executed by the architect, who delivers in this work his most interesting reflections and observations on the geometrical, aesthetic and practical details presiding over their realization. The works discussed include buildings as well as gardens and interiors, with stair decorations, etc. It represents a gem among architecture books in general and especially 18th century French architecture. It is dedicated to "Monseigneur Turgot, Chevalier Marquis de Sousmons, Seigneur de Saint-Germain sur Eaulne".
Jacques-Francois Blondel (1705-1774) was an 18th century French architect and teacher. He was appointed Professor of Architecture at the Academie Royale d'Architecture in 1762.
EDITION POINTS: First Edition published in Paris in 1737. The work was republished in 1967 by Gregg Press, and printed in offset by Anton Hain KG, West Germany.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore