DAME CURTSEY'S ART OF ENTERTAINING, by Ellye Howell Glover - 1918$110.00
"Dame Curtsey's" Art of Entertaining for All Occasions: Novel Schemes for Old and Young at Home, Church, Club, and School, Arranged by Months
by Ellye Howell Glover
Chicago, MI: A.C. McClurg & Co., 1918.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition with GOOD- DJ.
- Book features DJ and vintage cloth binding with blue title label on front.
- Volume displays commensurate overall aging and wear to covers and interior.
- Front cover shows a 1.25" x 1" damp stain at left head corner, that affects some part of label, as well as light scattered foxing.
- Boards are well preserved, displaying mild edgewear with tiny bump to fore edge of front, a scuff to head edge of front, and a couple small holes to head corner of back. (See photos)
- Spine exhibits minimal sunning, as well as some bumping to ends, which are softened.
- Binding is secure with a little play.
- Title page displays some foxing to upper left corner. (See photos)
- Interior exhibits gentle age-toning throughout, with rare smudges and foxing, and is overall well preserved.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Pages display two instances of some edgewear: page 47-48 has a 0.75" horizontal tear to fore edge, that minimally affects text (first letter) and pages 265 to 288 show a persistent corner crease. (See photos)
- Text block edges exhibit commensurate toning, as well as significant foxing.
- DJ is wrapped in Mylar and backed with archival paper.
- DJ has original price on spine.
- DJ displays notable toning, as well as some staining, scattered mostly on front.
- DJ exhibits significant edgewear. Front of DJ is split from spine through shoulder, and front of DJ has 2" x 1.5" chip that wraps around to spine head of DJ and into title text. Foot edges as well as all corners also exhibit notable chipping. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
355 pages. 5 x 7.5 inches.
A remarkable reference guide on the successful preparation of any event, from holiday celebrations to birthdays, weddings and announcements. A recognized authority on the subject, the author includes advice and suggestions for all kinds of events, from the official reception to the children's party, providing ideas to the hostess for the best entertainment in any situation. Those who want to host original parties and provide endless enjoyment for their guests, young and old, will find this an invaluable, exceptionally resourceful adviser for any kind of event. It is also an interesting peek into the past, giving a glimpse of the most favored entertainments at the time of the author.
Ellye Howell Glover is the author of various books on entertainment, etiquette, and cooking, as well as a work on the piano.
Includes a short foreword and an extensive table of contents.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore