DAM, by Toshio Shibata - 2004 [Signed Ltd 1st Ed]
by Toshio Shibata
This magnificent book features the impressive, extraordinary work of the Japanese photographer. Presented on large-sized, black and white plates, the photographs epitomize Shibata's taste and skill for capturing the grandiose, stunning spectacle of civil engineering in unpopulated landscape. These photographs, which show the power and gigantism of dams of the world, also bring us face to face with the precarity and danger that these, some of the most difficult constructions to build, yet so necessary, represent on a human scale. And yet the view of these large-scale constructions and the fearsome might of the water flowing therein, somehow brings a feeling of wellness and of peace, confronting us with a situation over which we have no power, and the harmony and strength of a well-built colossus. 19 pages. 13.5 x 16.75 inches.
Original gelatin silver print on front cover.
FIRST SIGNED LIMITED EDITION. No.118 of 500 numbered and signed copies. Lavishly illustrated with B&W photographs by the artist.
Published by: Nazraeli Press, Tucson, AZ, 2004.
Hardback is overall in NEAR FINE condition with NEAR FINE slipcase.
- ISBN: 1590050810
- Volume displays little to no wear to covers and interior.
- Covers feature gray text and original print on front.
- Spine features gray text.
- Binding is secure.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- One page shows a slight corner crease. (See photos)
- Colophon features signature by the artist. (See photos)
- Slipcase features text on front cover and fore edge, and displays minimal edgewear. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore