CYCLOPAEDIA OF ARTS AND SCIENCES, by E. Chambers - 1741 [2 Vols]
Cyclopædia: or, An Universal Dictionary of Arts and Sciences; Containing an Explication of the Terms, and an Account of the Things Signified Thereby, in the Several Arts, both Liberal and Mechanical; and the Several Sciences, Human and Divine: the Figures, Kinds, Properties, Productions, Preparations, and Uses of Things Natural and Artificial: the Rise, Progress, and State of Things Ecclesiastical, Civil, Military and Commercial... etc.
by Ephraim Chambers
Two Volumes. "Fourth Edition, corrected and amended, with some additions." London, UK: D. Midwinter, 1741.
Hardbacks are overall in GOOD- condition.
- Antiquarian leather binding features rounded spines with gilt and six raised bands.
- Covers display severe wear and aging, with leather coming off boards in large chips. Interior is well preserved overall in both volumes. (See photos)
- Volume 1:
- front board is detached;
- leather has rubbed off front board on a 5.25" x 7.75" area, and board is exposed all along fore edge;
- spine piece has a 2.5" long chip starting from foot edge and going up to first raised band;
- leather is also rubbing off back board with bands coming off;
- one half of frontispiece is detached along fold;
- anatomy fold-out is detached from book. (See photos)
- Volume 2:
- front board exhibits a 2" x 6" chip starting from right head corner;
- most of back board is exposed, with leather gone;
- damp stain visible on fore edge of textblock persists in middle pages, marginally affecting page, leaving text intact.
- Boards are exposed along most of edges on both volumes.
- Spines display pronounced overall rubbing, dust and aging as well as chipping to ends.
- Binding is overall secure through textblock in both volumes.
- Plates are overall well preserved inside, with most in Very Good condition, showing light commensurate toning, scattered foxing and occasional staining. (See photos)
- Fold-out illustrations display moderate overall wear, with some tears along folds, as well as occasional chips and edgewear. (See photos)
- Interior is overall well preserved in both volumes, with scattered foxing and commensurate toning. (See photos for range)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Pages show occasional damp stains, as well as several instances of persistent damp staining, mostly marginal, sometimes going into text, with associated warping. Text remains perfectly legible. (See photos)
- Textblock edges display commensurate aging as well as occasional staining.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Pages not numbered. 10.5 x 16 inches.
Antiquarian set of two leatherbound volumes, featuring rounded spines with gilt and six raised bands. B&W plates offer a collection of examples for one or more articles, hand-counted as 11 + 9 present.
Title continues: "With the several Systems, Sects, Opinions & etc, among Philosophers, Divines, Mathematicians, Physicians, Antiquaries, Critics, & etc. The Whole intended as a Course of Ancient and Modern Learning, Extracted from the Best Authors, Dictionaries, Journals, Memoirs, Transactions, Ephemerides, & etc. in Several Languages."
These two massive volumes include all the most recent discoveries in arts and sciences in the first half of the 18th century. Splendidly illustrated throughout, it presents the science and art of the day with exceptional accuracy and exhaustiveness, dealing with mathematics as well as philosophy, poetry, and all fields of arts and sciences. Each term is the object of a detailed and accurate description and explanation, and alphabetically, rather than thematically, classified, making it a remarkable reference in the form of a dictionary for the layman.
Features an abundant quantity of plates and fold-outs. Terms are classified alphabetically.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore