COMPLETE WORKS OF BENJAMIN FRANKLIN - 1806 [1st Ed, 3 Vols]
The Complete Works, in Philosophy, Politics, and Morals, of the Late Dr. Benjamin Franklin, now first collected and arranged: with Memoirs of His Early Life, written by Himself - 3 Volumes
by Benjamin Franklin
FIRST EDITION. London: J. Johnson, and Longman, Rees, Hurst & Orme, 1806.
Hardbacks are overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- Volumes are half-bound in brown leather and feature colorful patterned covers with gilt lines.
- Set displays commensurate aging and wear.
- Covers exhibit overall rubbing and scuffing, as well as chipping along edges where boards are occasionally exposed.
- Boards are exposed at corners which also display gentle bumping.
- Volume 1:
- front cover is detached, together with front fep, that shows a 0.75" long hole;
- corners, especially head corners, show more significant bumping;
- front shoulder displays a 0.75" chip.
- Volume 2:
- page 63-64 shows a 0.5" x 1.75" chip to fore edge.
- Volume 3:
- foot corner shows a stronger bump than other corners;
- front shoulder has a 0.5" x 0,75" chip. (See photos)
- Spines are rubbed at ends, more at head, and along shoulder. Front shoulder is cracked on all volumes, and seems ready to split.
- Binding is overall secure in all volumes, with minor cracking to hinges.
- Endpapers are toned and foxed.
- Title pages show more toning than most of interior, as well as some foxing. (See photos)
- Title pages have signature from previous owner. (See photos)
- Frontispiece in Volume 1 shows foxing and gentle toning.
- Illustrations and fold-outs display gentle toning of varying levels, going from light to strong, as well as light scattered foxing. (See photos)
- Interiors are gently toned with occasional foxing, mostly light.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Some pages show more pronounced foxing. (See photos)
- Textblock edges are stippled along front and foot, and show remnants of inking along head.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
440 pages + index (Vol 1) + 468 pages (Vol 2) + 552 pages (Vol 3). 5.5 x 8.75 inches.
Handsome set of leatherbound volumes features colorful patterned covers, with gilt lines, as well as gilt lettering on spines.
Volumes feature 12 plates, all present, fold-out and full-page, as well as full tables of contents and an index in Volume 1. Volume 1 additionally features a frontispiece, portrait of the author.
Volume 1 features letters by Franklin in Appendix. Volume 2 features a section of Papers on General Politics. Volume 3 features an Appendix with 1. Papers proper for Insertion, but Omitted, in the Preceding Volumes; 2. Letters by Several Eminent Persons, illustrative of Dr. Franklin's Manners and Character.
These three volumes compile the writings of Benjamin Franklin in all the vast fields which he covered, ranging from science to politics, philosophy and morals. The books present his theories on various meteorological phenomena, including rain and water spouts, as well as his maritime observations, pamphlets, and opinions on diverse subjects. They also feature his politically involved works, which show him as a key figure in the development of American revolutions and independence, as well as an advocate of fundamental causes such as the abolition of slavery. They reveal the wide range of his influence, stretching out to politics, science, economics and philosophy.
Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790) was an American polymath and one of the Founding Fathers of the United States. Called "the First American" for his early support and action for colonial unity, he was a figure of tremendous importance in countless fields from philosophy and science to politics and economics, and has been honored ever since as one of the most influential of the Founding Fathers, with a legacy of scientific and political achievement that is enduring to this day.
PROVENANCE: ex-libris with bookplate of Charles Hamilton of Hamwood on front pastedowns. Charles Hamilton I (1738-1818) established the Irish estate of Hamwood with this wife Elizabeth Chetwood, where his descendants live to this day. As does his gavel from his days as toastmaster of the notorious Dublin Hellfire Club.
EDITION POINTS: First Edition.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore