COLOUR IN RELATION TO CHEMICAL CONSTITUTION, by E.R. Watson - 1918 [1st Ed]
COLOUR IN RELATION TO CHEMICAL CONSTITUTION, by E.R. Watson - 1918 [1st Edition]
Colour in Relation to Chemical Constitution
by E.R. Watson
Very scarce First Edition of an early installment from the series Monographs on Industrial Chemistry which during the course of its publication, covered a variety of topics within the field of industrial chemistry. This edition presents four colored plates and 65 figures of absorption curves, spectra, etc.
From the preface "The author has tried to give a connected and simple account of the main lines of which research and discussion have taken place with regard to the relation between colour and chemical constitution and the main theories which have been proposed as to the nature of the vibrations to which ordinary colour is due. The quest for the ultimate cause of colour has revealed the great complexity of the problem and has shown the need for further work in this direction. 197 pages with index. 5.5" by 8.75".
A word from the editor Sir Edward Thorpe about the Monographs on Industrial Chemistry
During the last four or five decades the Applications of Chemistry have experienced an extraordinary development and there is scarcely and industry that has not benefited, directly or indirectly from this expansion. Indeed, the Science trenches in greater or less degree upon all departments of human activity. Practically every division of Natural Science has now been linked up with it in the common service of mankind. So ceaseless and rapid is this expansion that the recondite knowledge of one generation becomes a part of the technology of the next. Thus the the conceptions of chemical dynamics of one decade become translated into the current practice of its successor...an obscure phenomenon like Catalysis is found to be capable of widespread application in manufacturing operations of the most diverse character.
This series of Monographs will afford illustrations of these and similar facts, and incidentally indicate their bearing on the trend of industrial chemistry in the near future. They will service to show how fundamental and essential is the relation of principle to practice. They will afford examples of the application of recent knowledge to modern manufacturing procedure."
If that fails to inspire and should Nature withhold her spark luminous or grace eyes blind to her work, then may I suggest a volume from the series that gives exhaustive scientific treatment to the matter of margarine.
First Edition published by Longmans, Green and Co. London, UK. 1918
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Bound in green cloth.
- Deckle edges.
- Boards show wear typical for a book of this age such as bumping and fraying to corners and very light edgewear.
- Spine is worn along the length of the hinge with bumping and fraying to head and tail.
- Interior is for the most part clean though tends to show some aging such as foxing to pastedowns, and age-toned pages which appears most prominently along the outer perimeter of pages.
- Leafing through, the binding feels brittle which is further evidenced by cracking to the first page of Chapter 1, 64/65, 80/81, 96/97, 128/129, 160/161. Overall, binding is pliant though secure.
- No writing, highlighting, underlining or other intentional marks.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #artbooks #usedbooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore
- When you buy from us, we would greatly appreciate positive feedback to add to our ratings! Thank you in advance!
- We encourage you to contact us with any questions! We also welcome additional information on any of our listings.
- Other shipping options may be available. Please contact us for more details and information. Pickup is also welcome!
- Orders ship within 2 business days of receipt of payment, unless otherwise notified. Payment is due within 2 days of auction end to guarantee availability and price.
- International Buyers: Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges; these charges are the BUYER's responsibility. FULL VALUE will be declared on all overseas items.
- If your order hasn't arrived, or isn't as described, please contact us and we'll work with you to find a satisfactory resolution!
Launched from my store - Powered by Highwire.com