COLOUR AS A MEANS OF ART, by Frank Howard - 1849 [2nd Ed]$220.00
Colour as a Means of Art: Adaptation of the Experience of Professors to the Practice of Amateurs
by Frank Howard
Here is a copy of this much-reproduced book by Frank Howard (1805-1866) in one of its early printings, including with 17 chromolithographic plates. 108 pages. 5" x 8" inches.
2nd edition. Publishing Info: Henry G. Bohn, London, UK. 1849.
Overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Green Covers are blind-tooled
- Spine has gilt Title
- Binding is Secure
- Pastedowns are Attached
- Pages are free of underlining and intentional marks
- Inside pages are gently age toned, with minimal scattered foxing
- Rear Cover shows light wear
- Spine Head and Foot are worn and torn
- Corners are Worn and Dented
- Text block has dusty edges with some and deckling
- Front Free End Page and Rear Pastedowns have small pencil markings
- Page edges exhibit minimal wear
- Colored Illustrations Throughout
- Frontispiece tissue guard looks nice
- Title Page and Dedication Page are uncut at the Head
Excerpt: "The endeavour of the present work is to fix and develope, for the benefit of the Amateur and the Student, some of the acknowledged general principles of Colouring as a means of Art, without reference to the purposes to which such Art shall be applied, - without reference to poetical expression or character, or to the imitation of the details of Nature, which are requisite for the production of great works."
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #artbooks #usedbooks #bookbotique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks