COFFEE: FROM PLANTATION TO CUP, by Francis B. Thurber - 1883
Coffee: from Plantation to Cup; a Brief History of Coffee Production and Consumption
with an Appendix Containing Letters Written During a Trip to the Coffee Plantations of the East, and through the Coffee Consuming Countries of Europe
by Francis Beatty Thurber
New York: American Grocer Publishing Association, 1883.
Hardback is overall in GOOD- condition.
- Volume features brown cloth covers with gilt and black filigree on front and rounded spine, as well as flowery design on endpapers.
- Book displays general commensurate aging and wear with water damage throughout.
- Covers exhibit some edgewear with rippling to cloth, rubbing and fraying, as well as gentle bumping of corners.
- Front board has a significant bow upwards when seen facing fore edge, and a bow inwards when seen facing foot edge. Back board is lightly bowed inwards. (See photos)
- Back board shows some scuffing along shoulder.
- Spine is a little darkened, and has softened, frayed ends.
- Binding is secure overall.
- Feps show severe foxing, as well as evidence of water damage.
- Frontispiece is gently toned, and is protected behind tissue guard that shows shadow from illustration. (See photos)
- Illustrations are well preserved with gentle toning.
- Fold-out exhibits overall edgewear, as well as evidence of water damage in margin along head edge, about 1" into page from head edge. (See photos)
- Interior is gently age-toned, and shows water damage throughout, with warping and damp stain along head edge of pages, most pronounced on last pages where it goes 2" into page, affecting text. Text is not affected in most of book. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges exhibit evidence of water damage as well as toning, and dust along head.
416 pages. 6.25 x 9.25 inches.
Book features brown cloth covers with gilt and black filigree on front and rounded spine, as well as flowery design on endpapers.
Volume features illustrations as well as a fold-out of statistical tables. Includes a Preface, an Introduction and a List of Illustrations.
This is a complete guide to the production of coffee from its cultivation in coffee producing countries to its consumption in coffee consuming countries. One learns how the trade worked at the time the book was written, as well as some important economical facts about coffee that place the coffee industry back in its rightful place in global economy, as one of the most important trades in the world. The author makes us travel to the principal coffee producing countries, giving along the way a detailed account of the steps of coffee production, as well as an early history. Then are listed the principal coffee producing and coffee consuming countries, with statistics. Finally, the letters in appendix give the accounts of various countries.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore