COCKATOO, by Gladys Hasty Carroll; Robert Crowther (illst) - 1929 [1st Ed]$60.00
by Gladys Hasty Carroll
illustrations by Robert Crowther
The American author's first book, Cockatoo is a novel about the friendship between a bird and a young woman. Yet it is also a story about people, and their relationships between one another, as Carroll's first aim has always been to tell the story of common folk, which she found to be the most important in her writings. Her first book is easy and pleasant to read in this beautiful edition featuring the illustrations of Robert Crowther. 223 pages. 5.5 x 8 inches.
STATED FIRST EDITION. The author's first book. Illustrated in B&W by Robert Crowther.
Published by: The MacMillan Company, New York, 1929.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volume displays mild overall aging and wear.
- Blue covers feature text and illustration in darker blue, and exhibit mild aging with a small white stain near illustration, some edge toning and a light bump along fore edge on front.
- Corners display minor rubbing, and lower corners show some bumping.
- Spine features darker blue text, and is sunned, with some softening and rubbing of ends.
- Binding is secure with a little play.
- Front pastedown features bookplate from Margaret Blackmer. (See photos)
- Back pastedown exhibits some warping along edge.
- Illustration plates are well-preserved. (See photos)
- Interior is mildly toned, with pages showing occasional light creases and smudges.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges show expected toning with modest foxing along foot, and some faint scuffs.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore