CHINESE PAINTING: A COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE, by Chow Chian-Chiu & Chow Chen-Ying - 1979 [Signed 1st Ed]
Chinese Painting: A Comprehensive Guide
by Chow Chian Chiu & Chow Leung Chen Ying
Text in Chinese.
Signed by both authors. FIRST EDITION. Taipei, China: Ho Kung-Shang; Art Book Co. Ltd, 1979.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition, with a GOOD DJ.
- Colorful DJ, with a watercolor flower on one side, wraps around a gently used hardback filled with colorful full page illustrations.
- Olive green boards have white text on front and spine.
- Front cover has a 2" pen mark near spine and .25" white smudge near foot.
- Both boards have a slight concave bow.
- Pushed spine ends have a slight impact on shoulder ends.
- Binding is secure.
- Artwork remains vibrant and lush.
- Interior is gently age-toned, with the occasional smudge that does not interfere with the art.
- Page 32 has a 1.5" closed tear. Pages 71-76 are affected by a 1.25" gutter crease at foot.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- DJ is nicely preserved behind Mylar and is backed with archival paper.
- Overall, DJ also has light aging and dust, with moderate edgewear including a few closed tears. Text and images are intact and unaffected by any issues.
- Close examination of DJ reveals a bit of edgewear, including a .5" closed tear at back head corner, while head corner has a thumb-sized stain and sharp 3" crease. Spine ends have notable chipping. Head of DJ shows signs of something like a rough drop.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
216 pages. 9.5 by 11.75 inches.
Colorful DJ wraps around a gently used hardback filled with colorful full-page illustrations, elegantly interwoven with hànzì text. Book is formatted to open Western style: with fore edge on the right side the cover has a luscious watercolor flower, and has obvious title pages and an English colophon in the first pages. If opened from the left in typical Asian format, the cover has a wide green band along spine with prominent bilingual text, and inside is a prominent Chinese colophon along with Chinese-language publisher ads.
Assumed how-to book on Chinese painting, considering layout and style of illustrations. Some pages show detailed breakouts of a larger image, that someone of artistic inclination could easily use as examples to create their own Chinese-style painting.
EPHEMERA: On front endpaper is a pasted photograph of the award won by this book.
PROVENANCE: Presentation copy to Mr. Kurt P. Stabilit(sp?), in English and Chinese characters, signed by both authors.
EDITION POINTS: Stated first edition. Signed by both authors on front pastedown
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore