CHINESE BRONZE MIRRORS M Rupert & OJ Todd 1935 Signed Inscribed 1st Ed 36 Plates
Antique book is in nice condition with mild warping of covers and gentle toning inside. A little dry. BUY WITH CONFIDENCE! Please see description for more details. AS IS.
Chinese Bronze Mirrors
by Milan Rupert & O.J. Todd
A remarkable study of Chinese mirrors based on the Todd collection. Containing 1000 articles of worth from five different provinces in China, the collection covers several dynasties and time periods in the history of the Nation. This volume adds to the 36 plates containing 109 illustrations showing the articles of the collection, a thorough text detailing the history of Chinese mirrors as well as fascinating bits of myth and stories deep in the culture of China, and at the basis of these mirrors and the inscriptions which decorate them. The history of the various dynasties places each style in its context, and explains the events and cultural background behind each particular artwork. The illustration plates at the end of the volume are preceded and backed by pages of accurate description for each mirror, with useful information on the dynasty to which belongs the artwork, its dimensions, shape, weight, and other relevant remarks. A work of immense value on Chinese art. 259 pages + 72 illustration plates pages. 6.75 x 9.5 inches.
FIRST EDITION. Signed and inscribed. 36 plates with 109 black & white photograph illustrations of the articles of the collection. With historical and informative text as well as pages of description of artworks giving the dynasty to which the artwork belongs, its dimensions, shape, weight, and other remarks.
Published by: San Yu Press, Peiping, China, 1935.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volume is in very good condition with mild aging on covers and inside.
- Covers show minimal fading, and are in brown cloth.
- Boards exhibit some minor warping as well as barely visible small stains on front and back.
- Corners are sharp.
- Spine features faded gilt text and decorative lines near head and foot.
- Spine ends are softened, with light rubbing.
- Binding is overall secure with minimal play and gaps between some signatures. (See photos)
- Illustration plates are gently toned and are otherwise in nice condition.
- Front fep displays ink signature and inscription of author on upper half of page. (See photos)
- Interior cream-colored pages are gently and evenly age-toned.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges show moderate age toning and a slight black mark on foot. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore