CHESKIAN ANTHOLOGY, by John Bowring - 1832 [1st Ed]
Cheskian Anthology: being a History of the Poetical Literature of Bohemia, with translated Specimens
by John Bowring
Presumed First Edition. London: Rowland Hunter, 1832.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volume features custom fine binding with light brown leather covers, and gilt dentelle on boards as well as filigree with title block on rounded spine. Book additionally features handsome colored marble design on textblock edges with matching endpapers.
- Volume displays gentle commensurate aging and wear, and is overall remarkably well preserved.
- Covers exhibit gentle edgewear with a small chip to head corner of back. Corners are otherwise gently rubbed.
- Back board shows a 0.75" stain near foot edge. (See photos)
- Spine displays gentle overall rubbing, as well as faint darkening along shoulders.
- Binding is secure throughout.
- Feps as well as title page display some foxing. First front fep has pencil mark from previous owner, apparently from Philip A. Wiest? South Carolina, December 25th 1861. (See photos)
- Title page shows light foxing, as well as a black smudge at left head corner. (See photos)
- Interior displays minor age-toning with rare smudges, and is overall remarkably well preserved.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Last pages starting from approx. page 243 show some foxing, that becomes significant on last 15 pages. (See photos)
- Text block edges are a little dusty, with marble design still vibrant.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
270 pages. 4.25 x 6.25 inches.
Custom fine binding features light brown leather covers and rounded spine with gilt filigree and four raised bands, as well as marble design on textblock edges, with matching endpapers.
Book includes a Preface.
Translated by Bowring, here are some of the most beautiful and characteristic passages of Bohemian literature. The pieces chosen by the author span several centuries, looking back as far as the 13th and 14th centuries, and originate from authors whose name is significant in the history of Bohemia and its poetry. Most pieces are translated, while some of them are rendered in their original version, and carefully analyzed by the author who offers a study of their rhythm and style, as well as commenting on various aspects of their history and their authors.
John Bowring (1792-1872) was an English political economist, traveler, writer, literary translator, polyglot, and the fourth Governor of Hong Kong. He was an important figure in both the political and literary fields, being an extremely industrious reformist governor in China, and distinguishing himself in taking action for many social improvements in the country, as well as being a noted linguist and author.
EDITION POINTS: Presumed First Edition.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore