CHARLOTTE'S WEB, by E.B. White & Garth Williams - 1963 [5th Ed]
by E.B. White
illustrated by Garth Williams
5th edition. London, England: Hamish Hamilton, 1963
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition, with a VERY GOOD+ DJ.
- Illustrated cover and DJ cover feature the same color drawing by Garth Williams of the characters in the book.
- Illustrated boards show some edgewear. (See Photos).
- Corners are slightly bumped on the bottom front and back corner. (See Photos).
- Spine has orange illustrated text against and illustrated background.
- Binding is strong and secure.
- Endpapers and feps have some light to moderate foxing with tape residue on the front endpaper. (See Photos).
- Illustrations are present and clear.
- Interior is gently age-toned, exhibits minimal signs of age and wear with scattered light to moderate foxing.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges show moderate foxing. (See Photos).
- DJ is nicely preserved behind Mylar and is backed with archival paper.
- Close examination of DJ reveals light edgewear with tiny tears at the top and bottom of the spine. (See Photos).
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
170 pages. 5.5 x 8 inches.
Charlotte's Web is a children's novel by American author E. B. White and illustrated by Garth Williams. It was first published on October 15, 1952, by Harper & Brothers. The novel tells the story of a livestock pig named Wilbur and his friendship with a barn spider named Charlotte. When Wilbur is in danger of being slaughtered by the farmer, Charlotte writes messages praising Wilbur such as "Some Pig" in her web in order to persuade the farmer to let him live.
Written in White's dry, low-key manner, Charlotte's Web is considered a classic of children's literature, enjoyable to adults as well as children. The description of the experience of swinging on a rope swing at the farm is an often cited example of rhythm in writing, as the pace of the sentences reflects the motion of the swing. It is considered the best-selling children's paperback of all time.
EDITION POINTS: 5th Edition
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore