CENTRAL NEW JERSEY CHAIRMAKING OF THE 19TH CENTURY, by William H. McDonald - 1959
Central New Jersey Chairmaking of the Nineteenth Century
by William H. Mac Donald
An exhaustive history of the art of chairmaking in New Jersey in the nineteenth century. Compiled over a period of thirty years, the information contained in this book is the fruit of a thorough study and numerous conversations with local elderly chairmakers long retired from the business, now dead. It also implied conversations with their families, descendants, chair owners and even newspapers, records, and account books. The result is an illustrated history that will give the reader a perfect overview of the variety, technique, and specialties of chairmaking in Central New Jersey. 59 pages. 6.25 x 9.25 inches.
Illustrated with B&W photographs. Includes an index of chairmakers at end of volume.
Presumed First Edition. Published by: William H. Mac Donald, New Jersey, 1959.
Softback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volume is in overall very good condition with mild signs of aging and wear to covers and interior.
- Orange-brown covers exhibit faint marginal staining, with line drawing and black text on front.
- Wraps display moderate edgewear, with small tears and some creasing.
- Spine has staples, and is sunned showing also some darkening and rubbing.
- Binding is secure.
- Wrap shows a hole where upper staple binds it to textblock. (See photos)
- Titlepage shows ballpoint pen writing along upper edge.
- Inside pages are otherwise free of writing and intentional marks.
- Interior is overall well-preserved, displaying mild age-toning with scarce foxing.
- Illustration plates are well-preserved, exhibiting occasional light stains, mostly marginal. (See photos)
- Text block edges display foxing, with darkening along head.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore