CECIL BEATON'S NEW YORK - 1938 [Signed 1st Ed]$450.00
Cecil Beaton's New York
illustrations by Cecil Beaton
photos by Cecil Beaton & Others
SIGNED FIRST EDITION. London & New York: J.B. Lippincott and Company. 1938.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Well-loved volume sports a mustard yellow cloth with bold title on cover.
- Exterior exhibits over careful wear and aging, with exposed corners at feet and scuffed edges.
- Rounded spine is notably sunned with softened and fraying ends.
- Shoulders are beginning to split at tail edge, most prominently 1 cm at back foot that does not go all the way through.
- Binding is shaken, intact with some play. Some gutters show gaps between signatures, most prominently at pg 192-193.
- Front pastedown features a bold black ink inscription for previous owner.
- Frontispiece remains vibrant and intact.
- All photos and illustrations are present and intact.
- Interior is gently age-toned
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Text block edges are a bit dusty.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
261 pages. 6.5 x 9 inches.
One of Beaton's earliest works in the public eye, this book is a compilation of his observations and reflections on life in NYC in the early 20th century. It includes a vibrant frontis, line drawings in the text and over 120 photographs. Copyright page states "First published October 1938." Inscribed by Beaton on the front free endpaper: "Best wishes / Cecil Beaton."
"Cecil Beaton is as much at home in New York is in his native London, and the book is a record of impressions accumulated as a result of many winters spent in the most astonishing and paradoxical city in the world. He has captured the spirit of Manhattan as only a foreigner can, from a Bowery flophouse to his Louis Seize bed in the Waldorf, from a highbrow party in Harlem to a low brow ball on fifth Avenue." (from DJ)
Sir Cecil Walter Hardy Beaton CBE (1904-1980) was an Englishman of distinction who won many awards throughout his life. Although best known as a photographer and costume designer, but was also a painter, diarist and interior designer. He is perhaps best remembered for his Academy Awards as Art Director and Costume Designer for the 1964 film "My Fair Lady" as well as his remarkable portraits of famous celebrities of the 20th century.
PROVENANCE: A heartfelt gift inscription on the front pastedown marks it as a Christmas gift to a Navy seaman. Faces Beaton's signature.
EDITION POINTS: Signature on front endpaper includes Beaton's well-known looping line, or "scroll."
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore