CAMPFIRES OF THE AFRO-AMERICAN, by Jas. M. Guthrie - 1899 [1st Ed]
Campfires of the Afro-American; or, The Colored Man as a Patriot, Soldier, Sailor, and Hero, in the Cause of Free America: displayed in Colonial Struggles, in the Revolution, the War of 1812, and in Later Wars, particularly the Great Civil War - 1861-5, and the Spanish-American War 1898: concluding with an Account of the War with the Filipinos - 1899
by Chaplain Jas. M. Guthrie
FIRST EDITION. Philadelphia, PA: Afro-American Pub. Co., 1899.
Hardback is overall in GOOD- condition.
- Volume displays commensurate overall aging and wear.
- Pictorial cloth covers are severely toned, foxed and stained, and with rippling to front where cloth is coming loose from board. (Possible water damage.)
- Boards display commensurate edgewear with rubbing and are exposed at corners.
- Spine is also pictorial cloth and exhibits some fading and rubbing.
- Spine ends are frayed, with part of head gone. Text is not affected by chip.
- Binding is fragile, with some play and occasional gaps inside.
- Frontis piece is well preserved showing little overall aging. Tissue guard is damaged, and leaves some marginal residue. (See photos)
- Illustrations are well preserved with occasional marginal foxing, and are gently toned.
- Endpapers are damaged, with intact pastedown but torn fly leaf.
- Hinges are shot with exposed and cracked super. (See photos)
- Interior is gently toned throughout, with occasional marginal foxing and some rare and faint damp staining. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges show commensurate toning and some spots.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
710 pages. 6.25 x 9 inches.
Handsome 19th century binding features colored pictorial cloth covers.
Title also includes: "A Thrilling Record of His Daring and Suffering for Liberty's Sake, in Patriotic Uprisings, in Battles on Land and Sea, in Prison Pens, and in Deeds of Individual Heroism." This is an account of the participation of African-American figures into the history of the United States and the ongoing battle for liberty and freedom, including from slavery. The book explores the most important battles in US history, and the participation of African-American personalities in the effort towards victory and freedom. The list of events covers the most famous battles, including the Battle of Bunker Hill, the Revolutionary War, and the War of 1812.
"Profusely Illustrated." Book features a color frontis with tissue guard. Includes a list of illustrations. All illustrations are in B&W, and are portraits, pictures of places, and depictions of historical scenes.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore