CAMILLA, Frances Burney - 1796 [1st Ed 5 Vols] List w/Jane Austen Leatherbound$1,200.00
Camilla: or, a Picture of Youth
by Frances Burney
A handsome set of five volumes, of the novel by the English satirical novelist, diarist and playwright. A traditional story about the traditional concern of a group of young people, Camilla Tyrold and her sisters and cousin, the work became very famous in the eighteenth century, and is still of much interest for today's reader. The plot involves a fascinating psychological study, and through the adventures of the various characters, their very different personalities and their quest for love, one is allowed into a world where fate and destiny are influenced, and perhaps even shaped, by character. 390 (vol 1) + 432 (vol 2) + 468 (vol 3) + 432 (vol 4) + 556 (vol 5) pages. 4.5 x 6.75 inches.
FIRST EDITION. Five volumes. Subscriber's list inside, with mention of Jane Austen, who highly regarded the author. Bookplate of Frederic Arkwright with motto and crest, on pastedowns in all five volumes.Handsome 18th century fine leather binding with gilt trimming including dentelle along edges of boards. Rounded spine features red and green titleblocks, with five raised bands and elegant gilt filigree. Vibrant marbled pastedowns match dyed textblock edges.
Published by: T. Payne; T. Cadell & W. Davies, London, 1796.
Hardbacks are overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volumes are in overall very good condition with well preserved leather covers and moderate toning and foxing inside.
- Leather covers feature decorative lines in gilt on front and back, as well as gilt dentelle with blind-tooling on returns along borders. (See photos)
- Boards have light wear and age.
- Minimal shelfwear, with gently to moderately rubbed corners.
- Spine ends are firm, with rubbing.
- Binding is secure in all volumes.
- Front pastedown features bookplate of Frederic Arkwright with motto and crest in all volumes. (See photos)
- All volumes have original publisher's bookmark ribbon showing commensurate age. (See photos)
- Interior is gently age-toned with scattered and varied foxing.
- Verso of pastedowns have tiny bookbinder's stamp. Vol 1 has some light pencil under stamp.
- Some pages exhibit severe toning, with staining and foxing. (See photos)
- Text block edges display nice marble decoration with some darkening along head.
- Volumes 1, 2 and 5 are worn at head of spine. Vol 1 is broken off at head and vol 2 has wide but shallow chip.
- Volume 1 has page facing title page partially detached, and displaying a crease.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore