BOOK OF PUNCHES AND COCKTAILS, by Charles of Delmonico - 1934
Charles of Delmonico's Punches and Cocktails
by Charles of Delmonico
Second Edition, Revised and Enlarged. New York: Arden Book Company, 1934.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition with VERY GOOD- DJ.
- Volume displays mild overall wear and aging.
- Black covers feature gilt lettering on front, and have minimal dust.
- Boards display minor edgewear with minimal rubbing to corners, as well as a small bump to front shoulder at foot. (See photos)
- Spine ends are softened, with some fraying at foot.
- Binding is secure.
- Front pastedown features illustrated bookplate. Bottom of bookplate has been peeled off where name of owner was indicated. (See photos)
- Interior is gently age-toned, with lightly more pronounced edge toning.
- Textblock edges have red ink along head, and display a couple longitudinal stains to foot.
- DJ looks nice behind Mylar and is backed with archival paper.
- DJ displays overall toning with some creasing to edges, as well as chipping, more to lower edge on front, and a large chip to foot of spine, 2" from spine, 1.25" at most into back shoulder (wrapping around to back.)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
53 pages. 5.75 x 8.5 inches.
As states the author of the book in the provided introduction, this work is as much for "the ordinary gentleman of good taste" as for "the connoisseur or the epicure or gourmet of drink". It is a tribute to the lost art of making the most delicious drinks to fit every human mood, an art that the author himself has brought to a perfection and refinement far superior to that of the usual bartender, having made an illustrious career of serving the most distinguished princes and magnates.
Features "The Eight Immortal Drinkers" by Tou-Fou (715-774), an extract from "The Lost Flute" translated from the Chinese by Franz Toussaint, in introduction. Includes an introduction by the author.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore