BLACK ROADWAYS: A STUDY OF JAMAICAN FOLK LIFE, by Martha Warren Beckwith - 1929
by Martha Warren Beckwith
A passionate, fascinating study of the folk culture of the Jamaican people. Tackling all aspects of the matter from the family life to folk art, detailing the geography of the land, the activities of fishing, trapping and stock-raising, special ceremonies such as the burial of the dead, and the world of the spirits, this is a profound exploration into the heart of a people the likes of which will rarely be found among the literature on the subject. Illustrated with black & white photographs, including many historical details, delving deep into the religious beliefs which make the Jamaican culture as it is, the volume will take the reader on a journey of discovery not only of a place of the world, but the fascinating universe of its people. 243 pages. 5.75 x 8.5 inches.
Ex-library with plate and stamp on front pastedown and fep, and stamp on title page. Illustrated with black & white photographs. Includes a fold-out map of Jamaica with a color legend. With foreword and index.
Published by: The University of North Carolina Press, Chapel Hill, NC, 1929.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volume is in overall very good condition with mild wear from rubbing and fading on covers and toning inside.
- Black covers show some edgewear from mild fading as well as some rubbing with occasionally exposed boards along edges.
- Corners are rubbed with exposed boards and are mildly bumped.
- Spine features text in gilt and ex-library mark in white, and has softened and frayed ends.
- Binding is secure with minimal play.
- Front pastedown and fep feature ex-library bookplate, as well as discarded stamp in blue ink on front fep and back pastedown, and an embossed stamp on title page. (See photos)
- Fold-out map is intact.
- Back pastedown displays evidence of a torn library pocket on lower corner.
- Interior is gently age-toned and well-preserved with occasional foxing.
- Some pages display pencil marks and writing.
- Textblock edges exhibit expected toning and some scuffs mostly along head and fore edge.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore