BIRD STUDIES AT OLD CAPE MAY, by Witmer Stone - 1937 [2 Vols]
Bird Studies at Old Cape May
by Witmer Stone
A complete ornithology of coastal New Jersey. Thoroughly documented and accurately detailed, with an erudite text and splendid illustrations, this is a tremendous achievement on the science of the bird world. Witmer Stone is vice-president of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, as well as the past president of the Delaware Valley Ornithological Club, the American Ornithologists' Union and the American Society of Mammalogists, and a honorary member of the British Ornithologists' Union. His study, based on observations on the terrain, and numerous excursions to places where birds are the most likely to be closely watched, includes not only an exhaustive classification of the various bird species to be encountered in the region, but also an accurate description of their physical characteristics, anatomy, migrating habits, and all the information that is relevant as much to the scholar as to the fascinated layman. Each bird is shown on a superb line drawing at the top of the text concerning it. Complete with various black & white and full-color illustrations, from drawings and paintings by Earl L. Poole, Conrad Roland, J. Fletcher Street, Richard E. Bishop and Herbert Brown as well as numerous photographs, this is an exceptional ornithology treasure. 941 pages. 8 x 10.5 inches.
Two volumes. Each volume has a beautiful full-color frontispiece with a titled tissue guard. Lavishly illustrated from paintings and drawings by Earle L. Poole, Conrad Roland, J. Fletcher Street, Richard E. Bishop, and Herbert Brown, and from photographs. Limited Edition. No. 1383 of 1400. With a preface and abundant details and information. Some maps included. Endpapers are illustrated on front and back with a map of the Bayside and the Coast Strip.
Published by: The Delaware Valley Ornithological Club, Philadelphia, PA, 1937.
Hardbacks are overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volumes are in very good condition with minor wear to covers and some foxing inside.
- Green buckram covers feature text in gilt on front with a blind-tooled frame for title.
- Boards show minor wear from mild fading near edges mostly to second volume, as well as some slight edge rubbing.
- Corners are gently rubbed.
- Spine features text and lines in gilt, and has slightly rubbed ends.
- Spine is mildly sunned on volume 2.
- Binding is secure with a little play in both volumes.
- Volume 2 has number of set and edition information on last page.
- Illustrations are well-preserved with occasional surrounding foxing.
- Photographs are on glossy paper.
- Frontispieces exhibit some foxing mirroring foxing on title pages and tissue guards. (See photos)
- Interior is gently age-toned displaying some scattered foxing.
- Text block edges are gently toned, and darkened along head with some scarce foxing, and a dark stain to lower right corner of both volumes.
- Foxing is more pronounced along foot on volume 2.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore