BIBLE by Marc Chagall, Verve vol. 8 nos. 33-34 - 1956 [color lithographs]
Bible, Verve vol. VIII, nos. 33-34
by Marc Chagall
Text in French. Special double issue of Verve: Revue Artistique et Litteraire. Paris, France: Editions de la Revue Verve, 1956
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD+ condition.
- Illustrated covers are color lithographs. Covers are mostly clean with bright colors and clear text.
- Boards show some faint edgewear. Corners are gently scuffed, one corner shows a gap where the cover does not wrap completely. Please see photographs for details of condition.
- Spine has black text and is bright with bumped ends. Please see photographs.
- Binding is tight.
- Endpapers age toned; paste down at back cover is creased. Please see photographs.
- Frontispiece is present.
- Illustrations are bright and clear.
- Interior is gently age-toned.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
Unpaginated. 105 black and white etchings, 17 color lithographs, 12 black and white lithographs, and accompanying explanatory text. 10.5 x 14.25 inches.
A double issue of the French artistic and literary journal Verve containing drawings made by Marc Chagall between 1930 and 1955 to illustrate the Bible. Explanatory captions follow. An introductory essay by Meyer Schapiro opens the issue, followed by a poem, "L'Ecriture est Gravure." by Jean Wahl.
The volume contains 105 black and white plates from etchings, 12 black and white lithographs, and 17 full color lithographs. Additionally, the book's covers are color lithographs, not photo reproductions.
The imprint date of this issue is September 10, 1956. Rotogravure of the black and white plates was executed by the Master Printers Draeger Freres, and the color lithographs were printed by Mourlot Freres.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore