BEATING Magazine, by Tuli Kupferberg - 1959
by Tuli Kupferberg
The first issue of Tuli Kupferberg's short-lived magazine of Beat poetry. Arranged in six parts, this issue reads like a manifesto as it outlines the ideology of "Beat" as a social and creative movement. In the opening lines Kupferberg states that beat...like all good poetry it reserves the right and does take for its province any and all of life And of course beat is not only a style (or a group of styles) but an attitude. Unpaginated. 4.25" by 11"
Published by Birth Baby. New York, NY. 1959.
Softback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Bound in orange cardstock and fixed with two staples along the spine, the front cover features stylized lettering and shows bumping to the edges, primarily along the spine, with additional scuffing and soiling to the front and rear.
- Corners are bumped and creased which has extended to the corners of the interior. Please see photos.
- Binding is secure.
- Interior is gently darkened and wrinkled.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Gregory Nunzio Corso (1930-2001) was an American poet, youngest of the inner circle of Beat Generation writers (with Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsberg, and William S. Burroughs).
Naphtali "Tuli" Kupferberg (1923-2010) was an American counterculture poet, author, singer, cartoonist, pacifist anarchist, publisher, and co-founder of the band The Fugs. Born into a Jewish, Yiddish-speaking household in New York City, he was a cum laude 1944 graduate of Brooklyn College, and founded the magazine "Birth" in 1958. Birth ran for only three issues but published notable Beat Generation authors such as Allen Ginsberg, Diane Di Prima, LeRoi Jones, and Ted Joans.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore