AUCASSIN & NICOLETE, by Vojtech Preissig & Andrew Lang - 1931 [Signed Ltd Ed]$90.00
Aucassin et Nicolete
illustrations by Vojtěch Preissig
translation by Andrew Lang
SIGNED by V. Preissig, Limited Edition, published by: Limited Editions Club, 1931.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- Vintage illustrated cloth covers with geometric patterns.
- Boards exhibit some dirt and edgewear with gently bumped corners, and some board at corners, near spine, and 3" from spine at back head edge.
- Spine features bright gilt title and design.
- Spine ends are broken and chipped, moreso at foot where 1/2" of cloth is missing. Some cracking along edge, and across head.
- Binding remains secure.
- Original pastedowns are free of writing with decoration near the hinges.
- Close examination reveals cracked gutter at first decorated page.
- Handmade paper displays typical uneven edges fore and foot, some of which are lightly bumped.
- Head of text block was inked in yellow. Foot edge of pages shows a little age warping in most of book.
- Illustrations and designs remain clear and crisp throughout.
- Interior is gently age-toned.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
77 pages. 8 x 11.75 inches.
Hand-numbered as #1364 of 1500 printed.
Back flyleaf reads "This edition of Aucassin and Nicolete consists of fifteen hundred copies published for the members of the Limited Editions Club. It was designed and illustrated by Vojtech Preisseg; printed in the Preisseg type and decorative material, on J. W. Zanders hand-made paper, by the Statni Tiskarna in Praha; and bound by A. Tvrdy of the same locality, in Czekoslovakia. This copy is number 1364" -- followed by Vojtěch Preisseg's signature.
A retelling of the classic medieval--12th or 13th century--French chantefable (ie., story-song). Most likely intended as a performance, it is a parody play, mostly of the Arthurian romance. The prose and poetry are written in a style reminiscent of old English verbiage (ex., thou hast).
A visually rich presentation of this story, it is lavishly illustrated throughout in 4-colors, with some pictures inline, to offer at least one image per opening. Each page includes design elements, with titles for full-page illustrations.
Vojtěch Preissig (31 July 1873 – 11 June 1944) was a Czech typographer, printmaker, designer, illustrator, painter and teacher. [Wikipedia]
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.