ART MAGIC, OR MUNDANE, SUB-MUNDANE AND SUPER-MUNDANE SPIRITISM, by William Britten - 1909
Art Magic, Or Mundane, Sub-Mundane and Super-Mundane Spiritism
by William Britten
edited by his Wife Emma Hardinge Britten
Chicago, ILL: Progressive Thinker Publishing House, 1909.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volume features blue cloth covers with gilt lettering and decoration as well as blind-tooling on front cover and spine.
- Book displays commensurate overall aging and wear.
- Covers exhibit some fading, dust and dirt, as well as overall scuffing. Back cover has faint water stain that can be seen from some angles across lower edge, extending 1" to 2.75" high.
- Boards are partly exposed at corners, and display some edgewear with a small bump to head edge of front.
- Spine is lightly sunned, and displays slight softening of ends.
- Binding is secure with a little play.
- Front endpapers show stamp from previous owner on foot edge of pastedown: Eldon C. Hemenway, as well as some red writing on facing page. Back endpaper has some pencil writing on pastedown. (See photos)
- Interior is gently age-toned, with page 343-344 displaying a small stain/smudge in text. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Some pages (30-31) exhibit a printer's error of a raised shadow of the text. (See photos)
- Pages 359 to 362 have a head corner crease, 1.5" across corner, that leaves a slight shadow across corner on preceding page.
- Pages 17 to 26 show tearing, 1.25" at most, to foot edge. (Photo shows worst)
- Some instances of red underlinings and arrows in text. (See photos)
- Last pages from approx. page 351 show evidence of water damage along foot edge. (Photo shows worst of damage)
- Text block edges exhibit commensurate toning and foxing, with faded blue ink and dust along head.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
366 pages. 5.5 x 8 inches.
Book features blue cloth covers with silver and blind-tooling, as well as rounded spine with silver lettering. Endpapers feature lovely flowery design.
Volume features B&W illustrations, both full-page and in text.
Features three prefaces by Publisher, Author, and Editor, as well as a publisher's ad page at end.
This is a book about interior development and inner knowledge, and the experiences of the Soul in the invisible worlds. Gathering elements from all religions and ages, the author weaves an intricate and fascinating web that allows us in the deeper, divine realms of the world. In it are also discussed such practices as the invocation of elemental spirits, magic, alchemy and witchcraft.
Emma Hardinge Britten (1823-1899), wife of the author, was an English advocate for the early Modern Spiritualist Movement. Remembered as a writer, orator, and practitioner of the Movement, she is the author of detailed accounts of the history of the movement in America.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore