AN HISTORY OF MARINE ARCHITECTURE, by John Charnock -1801 [1st Ed 3 Vols] Plates$550.00
An History of Marine Architecture, Including an Enlarged and Progressive View of the Nautical Regulations and Naval History, both Civil and Military, of all Nations, Especially of Great Britain; Derived Chiefly from Original Manuscripts, as well in Private Collections as in the Great Public Repositories, and Deduced from the Earliest Period to the Present Time
by John Charnock
FIRST EDITION. Published by: Bye and Law, London, 1801.
Hardbacks are overall in FAIR condition.
- Volumes display commensurate wear and aging, with stains throughout, some quite heavy, and expected wear to covers.
- Half-bound in leather.
- Boards display severe overall wear, with rubbing and fading as well as cracking to leather.
- Leather and paper have rubbed off many areas on covers. Colored design on paper is severely faded.
- Volume 1 has small red paper residue on back cover.
- Volumes 2 and 3 have front shoulders splitting. (See photos)
- Spines feature two red title blocks with gilt, and are notably cracked and rubbed, with rubbing and chips to ends.
- Volume 2 has a vertical crack splitting spine from head to foot. (See photos)
- Binding is fragile in all volumes, with hinges starting to split.
- Volume 1 has ownership signature on front fep. (See photos)
- Volume 1 is missing frontis and plate 3.
- Three plates from volume 3 bound into volume 2.
- Interior shows expected age-toning, as well as stains throughout, in all volumes. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Some pages including plates and fold-outs show severe edgewear with creasing and tears. (See photos)
- Many plates are totally usable.
- Textblock edges show expected toning and wear.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
From the time of the Roman galleys to the 18th century British fleet, here is a complete history of marine architecture, its origins, functions, and the historical contexts of its stages. Combined with historical events to explain them, the modifications undergone by the architectural styles and the creations of new sorts of ships, are here explored in detail as the plates illustrate the various styles. Marine architecture is an art that ever changed and evolved depending on the times, the people, and the various functions it served. A study of its evolution brings light on the evolution of society, commerce, and warfare, in which field marine power always represents a tremendous asset.
Three volumes. Illustrated with numerous plates and fold-outs. Includes a preface, a dedication and a thorough table of contents.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore