AN HISTORICAL, GEOGRAPHICAL, COMMERCIAL AND PHILOSOPHICAL VIEW OF THE AMERICAN UNITED STATES... in 4 Vols, by William Winterbotham - 1795
An Historical, Geographical, Commercial, and Philosophical View of the American United States, and of the European Settlements in America and the West Indies
by William Winterbotham
An amazing, exhaustive history, geography and political essay on the United States of America from the time of their discovery, this four-volume set is filled with magnificent plates, one of which is in full-color. Dealing with all aspects of the founding of America since its creation and through all its wars and economical difficulties, its alliances and treaties with other countries, these volumes also include the geography, flora and fauna of the New Continent, presenting it as the new, mysterious land it then was, and not fully charted as yet. The economical situation, the political conflicts, the geographical changes, with cities being built and states defined, are explored in detail, and laid-out on the splendid maps and the many charts. A remarkable set on the history of America by an author contemporary to these times of many changes. 591 (vol 1) + 493 (vol 2) + 525 (vol 3) + 415 w/54 annex (vol 4) pages. 5.5 x 8.75 inches.
The following plates are still present in the book:
- The Falls of St Anthony in the River Mississippi.
- Assorted charts.
- A View of Ohiopyle Falls in Pennsylvania.
- Assorted charts.
- Bones &c of the Mammoth.
- Plan of Lystra, in Nelson-County, Kentucky.
- Plan of Franklinville, in Mason County, Kentucky.
- Polymetric Table of America. (fold-out)
- Tobacco Plant. (full-color)
- Assorted charts.
- Portrait of the author in frontis.
- 3 fold-outs on the value of the West-India Imports and Exports.
- Llama-Tapir, Buffalo-Buffalo Trap, American Elk-Bison, Wolverine-Beaver-Otter-Raccoon, Jaguar-Cougar-Ocelot-Lynx, Cabiai-Pacca-Marmot-Coasse, Twelve and Six-banded Armadillos-Coendou-Brazilian Porcupine-Urson, Monkeys, Mico-Oistiti-Saki-Pinche, Baltimore Oriole, Hooping Crane, Avoset, Rattlesnake & Black Snake...,etc.
FIRST EDITION. London Edition. Four Volumes. Many plates inside, with one full-color plate. Fold-out maps and charts included. Vol 4 contains 6 appendixes and an index at end. First appendix is Treaties between His Most Christian Majesty and the Thirteen United States of America; second appendix is Treaty of Alliance, Eventual and Defensive; third appendix is Convention between France and America; fourth appendix is the Definitive Treaty between Great-Britain and the United States of America; fifth appendix is Treaty of Amity and Commerce between Their High Mightinesses the States General of the United Netherlands, and the Thirteen United States of America; sixth appendix is Treaty of Amity and Commerce between His Majesty the King of Prussia, and the Thirteen United States of America.
Published by: J. Ridgway, London, 1795.
Hardback volumes overall in GOOD condition.
The following plates are missing from the book:
- Washington frontis.
- Map of North America.
- Map of the United States of America.
- Penn frontis.
- Map of New England.
- Map of Middle States.
- Portrait of Franklin in frontis.
- Map of Southern States.
- Plan of Washington.
- Map of Kentucky.
- Map of South America.
- Map of West Indies.
- Half leatherbound.
- Covers feature color design with gilt borders along leather corners and spine.
- Boards display moderate overall edgewear from rubbing, scuffs and some dust, as well as occasional chips along edges.
- Leather shows some wear on covers, with vol. 3 displaying exposed boards on some areas from leather having been torn off. (See photos)
- Spines have five raised bands, and feature text in gilt.
- Spines exhibit moderate wear with overall rubbing, pronounced at ends and along shoulders.
- Front cover is detached on vol. 1, and starting on vols. 3 and 4. (See photos)
- Binding is overall secure in all volumes.
- Fold-outs and plates are intact, with occasional edgewear, and damp stains. (See photos)
- Endpapers appear to be newer than textblock implying that the books were rebound or recased.
- Interior shows some scattered evidence of damp staining, with light foxing throughout, more pronounced on some pages, as well as occasional corner staining as in vol. 3 which shows persistent lower corner stain. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges display expected toning, with some darkening and foxing along head.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore