AN ASTROLOGICAL MANDALA, by Dane Rudhyar - 1973 [1st Ed]
An Astrological Mandala: The Cycle of Transformation and Its 360 Phases
by Dane Rudhyar
FIRST EDITION. New York: Random House, 1973.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- ISBN: 0394482840
- Book is quarter-bound in yellow cloth with green boards that feature orange device on front.
- Covers display light edgewear that includes a scuff to lower edge on back, that exposes board. Front has a light 3.75" thin vertical scratch that is more pronounced in photos than in person. (See photos)
- Boards are remarkably well preserved with little aging. Back shoulder has a 1" tall damp stain near head. (See photos)
- Spine shows some darkening and overall softening including ends.
- Binding is secure throughout textblock, with a little play. Gutter shows a gap/split at half-title page, 3" from head. (See photos)
- Endpapers display mild scattered foxing as well as an offset shadow along hinges, and fore edge of page.
- Interior is gently age-toned throughout, with one found instance of marginal foxing.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- First four pages of Chapter 1 show some foxing to upper corners. First page of Chapter 1 has a corner crease, 2.5" across corner. (See photos)
- Textblock edges have green ink along head, and display scattered foxing with some soiling to lower corner. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
392 pages. 6.5 x 9.5 inches.
This is a remarkable astrological study. Going further than the usual interpretations of astrology, the author creates a guide to the cycle of 360 phases depicted and symbolized by the astrological signs and houses, that he claims can be found in any life cycle that is characterized by 360 phases. Cases are given throughout the book to illustrated this cycle. Chapter by chapter the author explains how each of the given situations and instances correspond to a birth sign and an astrological configuration, weaving an intricate web of levels and stages that are all integrated in a grand-scale meaning.
Rudhyar reinterprets the Sabian symbols, initially formulated by Marc Edmund Jones and Elsie Wheeler, to emphasize their character as a cyclic and structured series revealing their archetypal meanings. He also details their use in divination as a series of symbols that goes to the very root of modern planetary significance.
Dane Rudhyar (1895-1985) was a French-born American author, modernist composer and humanist astrologer. A pioneer of modern transpersonal astrology, he wrote more than forty books and hundreds of articles, most of them on astrology and spirituality. He was widely published though little known before the emergence of the New Age movement, when his works gained universal appeal.
Marc Edmund Jones (1888-1981) was an American writer, screenwriter and astrologer. Called the dean of American astrology, he is best remembered as the leader of a 20th century reform movement for the study of astrology. It was he who introduced Rudhyar to astrology upon their meeting, and taught him through mimeographed lessons.
Includes a list of books by the author, as well as a table of contents, an introduction and an appendix with letters exchanged with Marc Edmund Jones.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore