AMERICAN PLASTIC: A CULTURAL HISTORY, by Jeffrey L. Meikle - 1995
American Plastic: A Cultural History
by Jeffrey L. Meikle
New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press, 1995.
Hardback is overall in NEAR FINE condition with VERY GOOD+ DJ.
- ISBN: 081352234X
- Volume features black cloth covers with silver lettering along spine, as well as a full-color illustrated DJ.
- Book displays minimal overall wear to covers and interior as well as minor aging and wear to DJ.
- Spine features text in silver, and exhibits gentle softening to ends.
- Binding is secure throughout.
- Front endpaper has blue pen signature from previous owner along upper edge. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- DJ displays minor overall toning and rubbing and a couple small smudges to spine.
- DJ head edge on front is slightly curling up. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
403 pages. 7.25 x 10.5 inches.
The history of plastic in America is the history of a spectacular economic growth. The early twentieth century which saw that growth came to be called the Plastic Age, with plastic replacing most of the then commonly used materials. As synthetic materials like Bakelite, Plexiglas, vinyl, and polystyrene became the new standard, plastic kept expanding in the daily life of Americans of all social classes, taking a hold on the collective mind and popular imagination so far as its symbolic power grew. The volume examines the history of America's involvement with plastic from the first plastic products to the expansion of the plastic industry. It tackles all aspects of the problem from the issues of science, marketing, design, popular culture, and growing environmental concerns. [information gathered from DJ flap]
Jeffrey L. Meikle is a professor of American studies and art history at the University of Texas at Austin. He is the author of "Twentieth Century Limited: Industrial Design in America, 1925-1939."
Illustrated in B&W throughout. Features 15 full-color illustration in a middle section. Includes a preface, an introduction, notes and an index.
PROVENANCE: Owner's mark of K. Rubin on endpaper.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore