AMERICAN BLOCK PRINT CALENDAR - 1937 [Weekly]
American Block Print Calendar 1937
illustrated by various American Artists
53 prints are featured in this weekly calendar: primarily woodcuts, as well as lithos and linocuts.
Milwaukee, WI: Gutenberg Publishing Company, 1936.
Spiral bound calendar book is overall in GOOD condition.
- Designed to sit upright on a desk displaying one week at a time, with a B&W print on top 2/3 of page.
- Publication is fragile with distinct aging, yet minimal damage or wear.
- Front cover is same weight as pages.
- Publication is bound with a plastic comb, with a heavy cardboard back that includes an unused foldout stand. Binding is fully intact.
- Title page cover exhibits more toning than interior, with notable edgewear on right side, light scattered stains, and some creasing to left foot corner. (See photos)
- As front page rests out of alignment with calendar, toning and wear extends to exposed .5" at foot of first page.
- Creasing to front extends into first month of calendar, lessening on each page until it fades.
- B&W illustrations remain crisp and vibrant.
- Pages are toned throughout. Perimeters are more toned with occasional smudge. Perimeter differential fades throughout year.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Right foot corner shows bumping, possibly from drop. Minimal bumping to cover, but evident through last half of year. Bookseller sticker on both sides of back cover. (see photos)
- exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
53 unnumbered pages. 7.25 x 11 inches.
Designed to stand on a surface, with pullout stand on back, and a plastic comb binding to help flip the pages. Top 2/3 of page features vibrant artwork by American artists, for every week of the year by 53 American artists. According to documentation, this is lavishly illustrated with 33 woodcuts, 8 line photomechanical prints, 8 lithographs, 5 linecuts, and 1 linecut with linocut. 18 prints signed in plate. Each print is captioned with title, artist and format.
From front cover: "This calendar is created to bring contemporary American Art to the American home. The contributions range from conservative to abstract art to present the variety of contemporary American art. To enlarge the scope of the contributing artists, a small number of pictures in other media than block prints have been included."
Artists included: Wanda Gag, George Barford, Marguerite Zorach, Biagio Pinto, Gregory Orloff, Wharton Esherick, Mary Louise Lawser, Todros Geller, Peggy Bacon, William Zorach, Stuart Davis, Willi Anders, Thomas Hart Benton, William Gropper, Carl Holty, Herbert Pullinger, Walter Dubois Richards, Grant Wood, Robert Von Neumann, Gustave Baumann, Howard N. Cook, Bernece Berkman, Edwin Tunis, Florence V. Cannon, John Steuart Curry, Alfred Bendiner, Alexander Masley, Evelynne Mess, Julian Wehr, Howard Thomas, Angelo Raphael Pinto, Emil Ganso, Gerhard Bakker, Clare Eichbaum Brehme, John F. Stenvall, Grace Arnold-Albee, Ernest Fiene, Jean Charlot, Birger Sandzen, Lowell M. Lee, Karl Knaths, Boris Artzybasheff, Julius J. Lankes, Thomas W. Nason, Rockwell Kent, Kevin B. O'Callahan, Fritzi Brod, Mabel Dwight, Nicolai Cikovsky, Helmut Summ, Fiske Boyd, Elmer Young, and Frank Hartley Anderson.
This has been attributed as part of the Roosevelt Works Progress Administration (WPA).
PROVENANCE: Bookseller sticker on both sides of back cover for Paul A. Struck, New York.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore