ACCURATE NEW SPELLING DICTIONARY OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE, by Ann Fisher - 1773$2,800.00
An Accurate New Dictionary and Expositor of The English Language
by Ann Fisher
An antiquarian dictionary of amazing exhaustiveness, containing: "a much larger Collection of Modern Words than any Book of the Kind and Price extant" as well as "an entire new Dictionary of the heathen Gods and Goddesses: and also of the most illustrious Heroes treated of by Homer, Virgil, and other ancient Poets." To all of this is prefixed "a compendious, practical Grammar of the English Language." This amazing volume gives for each word its proper spelling and pronunciation, with its various meanings and significations, and as for the dictionary of the heathen gods and goddesses, it delivers an account, for each one of them, of their origin, exploits, and general history, giving all the useful information on their identity and family ties. A valuable reference book as much on the English language as on mythology and ancient literature and poetry. Pages not numbered. Approx. 580 pages. 4.75 x 4.75 inches.
Stated Second Edition of this dictionary by woman writer Ann Fisher. Technically believed to be a First Edition after the 1771 edition was suppressed due to copyright battle. Includes a practical grammar of the English language as well as a dictionary of the heathen gods and goddesses and heroes of ancient literature and poetry. Gives for each words its correct spelling, pronunciation, and various meanings and significations.
Published by: Ann Fisher, London, 1773.
Hardback is overall in GOOD- condition.
- Volume displays overall signs of pronounced aging, expected with antiquarian book, as well as notable wear.
- Brown leather covers display discreet filigree along edges and a carved vertical column of 1.5" of width with blind-tooled text.
- Boards exhibit moderate to pronounced general edgewear with rubbing and chips, as well as some scuffs.
- Spine features four blind-tooled bands and displays pronounced overall rubbing and fading.
- Binding is fragile with back hinge coming loose. (See photos)
- Feps missing.
- Pastedowns are covered with ink writing on both front and back. (See photos)
- Interior is moderately toned and displays occasional foxing and smudges.
- Several pages have ink writing and intentional marks, as well as edgewear with tears, rubbing and corner creases.
- Page corners are rounded and display occasional creasing which takes part of text, which is on some pages printed too close to edges.
- Textblock edges are severely toned and darkened and exhibit some remnants of ink writing along head and front.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore