TRUE & PARTICULAR RELATION OF THE DREADFUL EARTHQUAKE AT LIMA, THE CAPITAL OF PERU - 1748$1,100.00
A True and Particular Relation of the Dreadful Earthquake Which happen'd At Lima, the Capital of Peru, and the neighbouring Port of Callao, On the 28th of October, 1746
Published at Lima by Command of the Viceroy, And translated from the Original Spanish, By a Gentleman who resided many Years in those Countries
Published by: T. Osborne, London, 1748.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volume displays mild to moderate commensurate aging and wear.
- Leather covers feature lines in gilt on front and back, and display edgewear with minimal exposed boards at corners, that are gently bumped.
- Boards have dentelle along edges, showing some rubbing.
- Spine has five raised bands and faded gilt lines, and displays general rubbing with a chip to lower front shoulder, as well as a chipping to head. Leather is dry with cracking.
- Upper shoulder end on back shows pronounced rubbing, and front shoulder is starting to split. (See photos)
- Binding is overall secure, with minimal play due to fragility of hinges. Hinges are cracked.
- Front pastedown features bookplate of Daniel Craster of Craster Tower, former sheriff of Northumberland. (See photos)
- Front fep is present, but detached.
- Fold-outs are in well preserved condition and are intact. (See photos)
- Interior is gently age-toned with scarce foxing.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Publisher's defect found on page 115 with extra paper folded in lower corner. (See photos)
- Textblock edges exhibit expected toning and some foxing, with faded inking along head.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
344 pages. 5.25 x 8.25 inches.
Title states: "With an Account likewise of every Thing material that passed there afterwards to the End of November following. (...) To which is added, A Description of Callao and Lima before their Destruction; and of the Kingdom of Peru in general, with its Inhabitants; setting forth their Manners, Customs, Religion, Government, Commerce, etc. Interspersed with Passages of Natural History and physiological Disquisitions; particularly an Enquiry into the Cause of Earthquakes."
"The whole illustrated with a Map of the Country about Lima, Plans of the Road and Town of Callao, another of Lima; and several Cuts of the Native, drawn on the Spot by the Translator."
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.