A TREATISE OF DOMESTIC MEDICINE & DOMESTIC COOKERY, by Thomas Cooper - 1824 [recased 1st Ed]
A Treatise of Domestic Medicine, Intended for Families, In which the Treatment of Common Disorders are Alphabetically Enumerated. To Which is Added, A Practical System of Domestic Cookery, Describing the Best, Most Economical, and Most Wholesome Methods of Dressing Victuals; Intended for the Use of Families who do not affect magnificence in their style of living. Also, the Art of Preserving all kinds of animal and vegetable substances for many years.
by Thomas Cooper
Published by: George Getz, Reading, 1824.
Hardback is overall in GOOD+ condition.
- Volume is in good+ condition with moderate to pronounced overall aging and stains.
- Quarterbound leather.
- Book was professionally recased with a new leather spine.
- Covers feature title in black on front, and are cardboard showing pronounced wear with staining, rubbing, and severe scuffing around corners. (See photos)
- Boards display notable edgewear and are exposed with bumping to corners.
- Spine was replaced, and features gilt and displays mild wear with rubbing.
- Binding is secure with professional repair.
- Hinges appear cracked but are sound thanks to repair.
- Front pastedown displays ink signature from previous retailer.
- Interior exhibits pronounced age-toning and staining throughout, with a persistent damp stain to title page, front feps and index pages. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges are foxed, and show expected toning.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
128 pages. 6.5 x 10.5 inches.
An exhaustive, thoroughly useful volume of study of 19th century medicine and recipes. Written in three parts, this work is a guide to curing the most common diseases and disorders, put together with a system for home cooking. This antiquarian volume is a precious piece of 19th century medical literature and rare cookbook, showing many examples of the trusted remedies to diseases of the time. The diagrams guide the reader to the discovery of the various methods exposed in the text. Overall a very valuable work.
Professionally recased with leather spine featuring gilt text. Includes some diagram drawings.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.