A SYSTEM OF MINERALOGY, by James Dwight Dana - 1837 [1st Ed, Rebound]
A System of Mineralogy:
Including an Extended Treatise on Crystallography: With an Appendix, Containing the Application of Mathematics to Crystallographic Investigation, and a Mineralogical Bibliography.
by James Dwight Dana
A very scarce FIRST EDITION of this important work on cut stones. Lavishly illustrated with 250 woodcuts, 4 copper plates, and an additional 150 pictures, as well as numerous tables and formulas. Includes all 4 plates (2 foldouts) of crystal formations at end. 452 pages of text, plus 119 pages of appendixes, bibliography and index. 6 x 9.25 inches
Fine binding: Professionally rebound by the award-winning Stonehouse Bindery in Lambertville, NJ. Full-leather bound with 4 raised bands and bright gilt leather title pasted on spine. Fully marbled text block edges.
Publishing Information: Durrie & Peck and Herrick & Noyes, New Haven, CT. 1837.
Leatherbound book is overall in VERY GOOD to NEAR FINE condition.
- Full leatherbound book.
- Plates are in excellent condition.
- Binding is strong and tight.
- Covers exhibit minimal shelfwear.
- Text block and binding are tight.
- Foldouts are aged, with minimal foxing.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Interior is lightly tanned with light to moderate scattered foxing, with an occasional dog-ear or page crease.
- Endpages are foxed, with much less to actual pastedowns.
- Vintage pen & ink owner's sig on title page.
- Text block exhibits minimal expected age-warping, with dusty edges.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.