A SEASON IN HELL, by Arthur Rimbaud; tr. Delmore Schwartz - 1939 [1st Ltd Ed]$210.00
A Season in Hell - Une Saison en Enfer
by Arthur Rimbaud
translated by Delmore Schwartz
LIMITED EDITION, One of 780 Copies. First Edition by this translator. Norfolk, CT: New Directions, 1939.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volume is quarter-bound in linen, and has title label on front.
- Book displays gentle overall aging and wear.
- Covers exhibit gentle edgewear, with some exposed board at back corners, as well as some fading along head edges on front and back, with a little darkening and stains.
- Boards display light overall shelfwear with some scattered scuffs.
- Spine is lightly rubbed and frayed at ends, with foxing along back shoulder. (See photos)
- Binding is secure.
- Front fep has previous owner marks, dated 1940. (See photos)
- Endpapers display foxing and smudges.
- Title page and feps exhibit minimal foxing.
- Interior is gently age-toned with rare occasional smudges in margins. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Page 55 bears a hand-corrected line in pencil. (See photos)
- Textblock edges are deckled along fore edge, and display foxing and dust along head. Foot edge is lightly foxed.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
100 pages. 6.5 x 9 inches.
Includes an introduction with biographical information on the author.
This profound translation of the French poet's influential writing is displayed side by side with the original on facing page throughout the volume. Rimbaud's intense sentences are well rendered by the translator and richly depict his emotional conflicts and the turmoil of his sensitive, agitated mind. Written in first-person narrative, the poem's enigmatic thread reflects the young poet's conflict with life, guilt, suffering, and God.
Arthur Rimbaud (1854-1891) was a French poet known for his influence on modern arts and literature. A Season in Hell is the only work published by Rimbaud himself. It had a major influence on later writers and artists, including the Surrealists.
Delmore Schwartz (1913-1966) was an American poet and short story writer, the author of philosophical, deeply meditative works that marked for some "the first real innovations since T.S Eliot and Ezra Pound".
[Biographical info taken from Wikipedia]
PROVENANCE: illustrated bookplate on front pastedown, with name "Richard Page Aikin."
EDITION POINTS: Limited Edition, one of 780 copies.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore