A JOURNEY THROUGH HOLLAND & WESTERN GERMANY, by Ann Radcliffe - 1795
A Journey Made in the Summer of 1794, through Holland and the Western frontier of Germany, with a Return down the Rhine: to which are added, Observations during a Tour to the Lakes of Lancashire, Westmoreland, and Cumberland
by Ann Radcliffe
Dublin, Ireland: William Porter, 1795.
Hardback is overall in GOOD- condition.
- Volume displays commensurate wear and aging. Both covers are detached. (See photos)
- Brown covers feature marbling, and display overall rubbing and scuffs, as well as commensurate edgewear.
- Edges have dentelle. Boards are exposed at corners and along some areas of edges.
- Spine features red titleblock with gilt, and displays overall wear with rubbing, some cracking and chips to ends as well as along shoulders. (See photos)
- Binding is intact throughout textblock. Title page and table of contents page is detached along with front cover, to which it is still attached.
- Title page has previous owner signature. (See photos)
- Interior is moderately toned throughout, and exhibits scattered foxing, that sometimes goes into text. (See photos)
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Pages occasionally display edgewear such as creased corners and small chips and tears.
- Textblock edges are foxed and toned.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
499 pages. 5.5 x 8.5 inches.
From the English author of Gothic novels, comes this travel relation made in the summer of 1794. Definitely Romantic in the vivid depictions of landscapes she comes across and the long travel scenes, Radcliffe touches the supernatural in the technique of explaining inexplicable phenomena by the "explained supernatural." Ann Radcliffe (1764-1823) was an English author and a pioneer of the Gothic novel. She is considered one of the founders of Gothic literature.
Includes a table of contents and a preface.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore