A HISTORY OF INDUSTRIAL PATERSON, by L.R. Trumbull - 1882 [1st Ed]
A History of Industrial Paterson;
being a Compendium of the Establishment, Growth and Present Status in Paterson, N.J., of the Silk, Cotton, Flax, Locomotive, Iron and Miscellaneous Industries; together with Outlines of State, County and Local History Corporate Records, Biographical Sketches, Incidents of Manufacture, Interesting Facts and Valuable Statistics...
by Levi R. Trumbull
FIRST EDITION. Paterson, NJ: Carleton M. Herrick, 1882.
Hardback is overall in GOOD condition.
- Volume features brown covers with gilt on front and rounded spine, as well as beveled edges, and green endpapers with lovely flowery design.
- Book displays commensurate aging and wear.
- Covers exhibit significant overall rubbing and edgewear, with exposed boards and fraying at corners.
- Shoulders display notable rubbing. Front shoulder has a 4" long crack into cloth from head. (See photos)
- Spine shows general rubbing, and a center scuff, as well as fraying and softening to ends, with cloth chipping off head.
- Binding is fragile, with play, and displays some gaps. Back hinge is cracked, as well as front hinge from foot along 3". (See photos)
- First signature, including feps and title page up to copyright page, is detached. (See photos)
- Frontispiece displays gentle toning, slightly more pronounced than on inside illustrations, as well as minor edgewear to page.
- Illustrations are well preserved with gentle toning and rare smudges. Illustrations are protected behind tissue guards, that show shadow from illustration. (See photos)
- Fold-out map is well preserved and shows gentle age-toning, as well as a 1.25" horizontal crease near center horizontal fold, and a small hole in one fold. Fold-out additionally displays minor edgewear with small creases. (See photos)
- Interior is gently age-toned, and overall well preserved, with rare smudges, and occasional edgewear to pages, that remains minor.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges are stippled, and display commensurate toning.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
342 pages. 8.75 x 11.25 inches.
Antiquarian volume features brown covers with gilt on front cover and on rounded spine, as well as beveled edges with flowery design on endpapers.
Book features a frontispiece as well as a Preface, Table of Contents, and List of Illustrations. Volume includes several B&W portraits of historical figures. "Illustrated with Views and Portraits on Steel, and including a Map of the City, carefully revised and corrected to date."
This valuable reference on the local history of the largest city in Passaic County, and its county seat, sets it in its importance among the cities of New Jersey, as the industrial center it was. The author presents the various steps of its development, from its earliest history at the time of the settlers to the successive developments of its various industries. One will also find the biographies of figures who were instrumental in the evolution of the city, as well as valuable anecdotes and incidents in the industrializing process. This is a reference to be treasured as an exceptional piece of local history.
Paterson, NJ is the largest city in Passaic County, New Jersey as well as its county seat. It is often called the "Silk City" because of its dominant role in silk production starting from the latter half of the 19th century. It is also a favorite destination for immigrants from India, South Asia, and the Muslim world.
EDITION POINTS: First Edition.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore