A HANDBOOK OF BRITISH BIRDS, by J. E. Harting - 1901
A Handbook of British Birds: showing the Distribution of the Resident and Migratory Species in the British Islands with an Index to the Records of the Rarer Visitants
by J. E. Harting
illustrated from original drawings by the late Professor Schlegel
New and Revised Edition. London, UK: John C. Nimmo, 1901.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Antique binding features gilt illustration of bird head on light brown cover, and a rounded spine with gilt lettering.
- Volume displays commensurate aging and wear, yet is overall remarkably well preserved, with gilt still bright and vibrant plates.
- Boards display mild general fading, as well as a couple small stains on front, and minor edgewear.
- Front shoulder exhibits a 2.5" crack from head. (See photos)
- Spine is sunned, with softened and chipped ends.
- Binding on this dense volume is secure with minimal play. A few gutters are separated with secure gaps. (See photos)
- Illustration plates are vibrant inside, with gentle toning, overall in remarkable condition. (See photos)
- Interior shows gentle age-toning throughout.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges have gilt along head, and show commensurate toning with some soiling to lower corner. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
520 pages. 6 x 9.25 inches.
Antique binding features gilt illustration on front, as well as a rounded spine with gilt lettering and vibrant color plates inside.
This is a complete early 20th century record of the bird species visiting or residing in the British Islands throughout the year. Detailing their habits, the time of the year when they are present on the land, and even some of the common diseases to which they are prone, this valuable reference pairs with the physical description of the birds from scientific knowledge, some of his own observations.
James Edmund Harting (1841-1928) was an English ornithologist and naturalist. As editor of the Zoologist from 1877 to 1896, he was considered an authority on British birds, and the author of numerous books.
Richly illustrated with 35 vibrant full-color plates, reproduced from original drawings by the late Professor Schlegel. Includes an introduction and an index, as well as a summary with a new list of British birds.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore