A GAY DIARY, by Donald Vining - 1979 [First Edition, 4 vols.]
A Gay Diary
by Donald Vining
First edition, four volumes covering 1933-1975. New York: The Pepys Press, 1979
Softback books are overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Wraps show some wear, dirt, aging, edgewear. Corners are somewhat bumped.
- Spines have black text (Vol. 1 red text) and are darkened, with bumped ends.
- Bindings are strong.
- Vol. 1: 1933-1946. Tan wrap has shadow stain, bent back upper corner, chip to top edge of text block, shadowing on half title page. Please see photographs for details.
- Vol. 2: 1946-1954. Red wrap has bumped spine top end, some warping, thumb marks opening edges.
- Vol. 3: 1954-1967. Orange wrap is darkened at top back cover. Half of text block is age toned.
- Vol. 4: 1967-1975. Pale green wrap has faded spine, darkening at head edge of text block, thumbed page corners.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
1962 pages. 5.5 x 8.5 inches.
Donald Vining (1917-1998), born in Pennsylvania and educated at Yale School of Drama, is best known for his published diaries, excerpted and condensed from the journals he kept throughout his life. In them he recorded a detailed chronicle of the daily life of non-professional gay men in Manhattan over a period of more than 40 years.
In his review of the first volume of the diary in Body Politic, John D'Emilio said that "A Gay Diary is, unquestionably, the richest historical document of gay male life in the United States that I have ever encountered. It chronicles a whole life in which homosexuality is but one part and an ever-changing part at
that. It illuminates a critical period in gay male American history."
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore