A COURSE OF SIX LECTURES ON THE HISTORY OF A CANDLE, by Michael Faraday - c.1870
A Course of Six Lectures on The Chemical History of A Candle
by Michael Faraday
edited by William Crookes
Title ends: "to which is added a lecture on Patinum". From the great nineteenth century English scientist, here is an illustrated collection of discourses of indisputable didactic interest. The student of chemistry will find in these lectures, delivered before a Juvenile Auditory at the Royal Institution of Great Britain, a complete and pedagogic explanation and description of the constitution and metabolism of a candle and of fire. A most elusive and difficult to grasp element revealed in six step-by step, easy to follow yet thorough lectures. 223 pages. 4.5 x 6.75 inches.
Illustrated with black & white explanatory diagrams. Complete with a preface and notes at end of volume.
Published by: Harper & Brothers, Publishers, New York, c.1870.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- Covers are blind-tooled and are moderately worn with overall fading, staining and darkening as well as some rubbing mostly near back upper edge.
- Boards show moderate edge wear with light rubbing.
- Corners are mildly bumped and exhibit pronounced rubbing with exposed boards.
- Spine has text and filigree in bright gilt with softened and bumped ends which are rubbed with minor chipping, and slight rubbing of shoulders.
- Binding is loosening between first signatures from title page and is otherwise secure. (See photos)
- Pastedowns are in mostly well-preserved condition with a small 1/2" crack at upper corner of rear end paper, to gutter.
- Interior is moderately age-toned with occasional staining and foxing, mostly, but not only, marginal.
- Inside pages display occasional pencil underlinings and brackets. (See photos)
- Textblock edges are considerably age-toned with some stains on upper and fore edges and severe darkening of upper edge.
- Upper edge of textblock exhibits some dust mostly near spine.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore