A COOL MILLION: THE DISMANTLING OF LEMUEL PITKIN, Nathanael West - 1934 [1st Ed]$100.00
A Cool Million: The Dismantling of Lemuel Pitkin
by Nathanael West
FIRST EDITION. Published by: Covici, Friede, New York, 1934.
Hardback is overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volume displays mild overall wear to covers and interior.
- Cloth covers feature green text on front, and exhibit overall toning with a light stain on front.
- Boards display minor edgewear with light bumping and rubbing of corners. Rubbing only occurs on front corners.
- Spine features green text, and is sunned and foxed with softened ends.
- Binding has a little play, with slight gapping at gutter between some pages inside. (See photos)
- Interior displays light overall age-toning, with rare smudges along gutter.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Textblock edges show expected toning.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Nathanael West's third novel was written as a brutal satire of Horatio Alger's works, which sparkled with eternal optimism. Deeply admiring of the happy destiny awaiting the courageous and persistent boy in America who through his hard work and determination rises from poverty to a comfortable middle class, Alger's novels were the basis of West's inspiration for this satire. It is a tale of how unfair life can be in a cruel and ruthless society.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore