A COMPLETE SYSTEM OF COOKERY, by John Simpson - 1816
A Complete System of Cookery
by John Simpson
The famous cook of the Marquis of Buckingham publishes again after the success of his previous editions, The Complete System of Cookery, which now includes an extensive collection of recipes, together with bills of fare for every day in the year, tables of articles in season, as well as bills of fare for desserts. Presenting the most original recipes given for the entertainment of such personalities as the Prince of Wales, or simply for the convenience of the most private families, here is an invaluable reference guide for all aspiring and experienced cooks. 568 pages. 4.5 x 7.25 inches.
Includes bills of fare for all seasons, as well as an extensive collection of original recipes. Also contains tables of articles in season.
Published by: W. Stewart, London, 1816.
Hardback is overall in GOOD- condition.
- Volume is severely worn on the outside, with chipping and tape mending on covers, and severe toning and staining inside.
- Scuffed and faded covers exhibit large chips along borders with exposed boards, and are mended with tape.
- Quarter bound in leather.
- Boards display pronounced scuffing and rubbing and are exposed on edges and corners.
- Corners are chipped and bumped with exposed boards.
- Spine is in leather with faded gilt and exhibits severe scuffing and overall rubbing.
- Spine ends are rubbed and chipped, with a split along shoulder on front running from one end to the other, and widening towards tail, and a 1.5" chip along upper part of shoulder on back. (See photos)
- Binding is fragile with some loosening and splits along gutter between some pages, as well as gaps between signatures. (See photos)
- Endpapers display severe toning and staining, and are mended with tape along hinge.
- Front endpapers features signature from previous owner on upper left corner of pastedown, and exhibit overall foxing. (See photos)
- Interior is moderately toned with some foxing and staining throughout first half of volume, and severe toning and damp staining to last pages.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Some pages at end of volume display strong edge and center creasing and chipping mended with tape, as well as chipping going into text and closed tears which are not mended with tape. (See photos)
- Page 507-508 missing.
- Last index pages displays severe damp staining as well as a tear along gutter, continuing into page as horizontal closed tears. (See photos)
- Text block edges show dust and dirt on front, and along head and foot, and display severe overall toning.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore