A COLLECTION OF OLD BALLADS -1723 [3 Vols]
A Collection of Old Ballads: Corrected from the Best and Most Ancient Copies Extant; With Introductions Historical and Critical
3 Volumes, 1723
A handsome set of three quarter-bound leather volumes featuring magnificent copper plates to illustrate the loveliest ballads of old times. Gathering an impressive amount of poems in old font and english, from medieval times and later, including the tale of Robin Hood and that of King Arthur and his knights of the Round Table, this collection is a delight for all who love poetry, old english, and handsome illustrations. The ballads of old times tell of battle, of cunning fellows, of the triumph of wit against force, of romance, of mystery, and are a real treasure trove of beautiful stories that can be endlessly retold to children as a source of teaching. Grown-ups will find in it as well an invaluable entertainment and wonder. Old yet timeless, these tales capture our imagination, and this exceptionally beautiful edition brings them to life as never before. 287 (vol 1) + 266 (vol 2) + 263 (vol 3) pages. 6 x 9 inches.
Three volumes. Beautifully illustrated with copper plates. Each volume includes a preface.
Presumed First Edition. Published by: J. Roberts, D. Leach, London, 1723.
Hardbacks are overall in VERY GOOD condition.
- Volumes are in remarkable condition with little to no aging inside and moderate scuffing on covers.
- Quarter leatherbound.
- Red covers display moderate overall scuffing and exhibit some edgewear with rubbing exposing boards on small areas, and minimal bumping to corners.
- Spines feature text and lines in distinct gilt, and exhibit some faint rubbing to shoulders and ends.
- Binding is secure in all volumes.
- It is unlikely that this is the original binding from 1723.
- Interior is remarkably well-preserved with little to no foxing.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Pages show slight differences in toning.
- Text block edges have well-preserved gilt along head, and are barely aged and lightly deckled along fore edge. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore