A CHRISTMAS CAROL IN PROSE, by Charles Dickens; illus by Eytinge - 1869$165.00
A Christmas Carol in Prose, being a Ghost Story of Christmas
by Charles Dickens
illustrations by S. Eytinge, Jr.
engravings by A.V.S. Anthony
Boston, MA: Ticknor and Fields, 1869.
Hardback is overall in GOOD- condition.
- Antiquarian volume features brown blind-tooled covers with filigree identical on front and back, as well as gilt text and five raised bands on rounded spine.
- Volume displays pronounced commensurate aging and wear.
- Covers exhibit notable rubbing overall, as well as some bumping and exposed boards at corners, with chipping. Shoulders are significantly rubbed.
- Front cover is detached from textblock, along with front endpaper, and shows a pink 1" circular stain along fore edge. (See photos)
- Spine is notably rubbed, and exhibits a chip to head, going 0.5" max. into spine, as well as some chipping to foot. (See photos)
- Binding is fragile, with some pages getting loose from foot of gutter.
- Front fep shows some pencil writing. (See photos)
- Frontispiece displays some foxing and an offset from tissue guard. (See photos)
- Title page shows offset from facing tissue guard, and also displays foxing.
- Illustration page 37 is getting loose at foot, and starts to protrude at fore edge of textblock. (See photos)
- Illustrations are protected behind toned and foxed tissue guards that are glued to illustration page along one edge. Tissue guards are occasionally partly unglued from page.
- Illustrations display commensurate toning and strong marginal foxing, that has minor effect on illustration. Tissue guards have left shadows on illustration pages. (See photos)
- Interior shows gentle commensurate age-toning, and is overall well preserved with little occasional foxing.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Pages of text facing illustration pages have retained an offset and some foxing from facing tissue guard.
- Text block edges are AEG and exhibit light overall scuffing with some dust along head. Gilt is still bright.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
111 pages. 6 x 8.75 inches.
Antiquarian binding features AEG, and blind-tooled filigree on brown covers, identical on front and back. Gilt lettering and five raised bands on rounded spine, along with gilt dentelle (inside cover edges). Volume features handsome colored marble endpapers.
Book features illustrated frontis as well as B&W illustrations throughout. Includes a list of illustrations.
The timeless tale of the great English author of the 19th century has become a cherished Christmas classic. The story of the miserly Ebenezer Scrooge epitomizes the Christmas spirit as he discovers the magic of giving and the power of generosity through the successive intervention of three Christmas ghosts. The ghosts take him on a journey into Christmases past, present and future to show him the consequences of his actions, eventually changing his life forever.
Charles Dickens (1812-1870) was an English writer and social critic. Through his novels and various writings he created some of literature's best-known fictional characters, eventually achieving an unprecedented fame during his lifetime and remaining widely read ever after his death. An advocate of social reforms, notably concerning the condition of the poor, he conveyed in his works their conditions of living in 19th-century England. Indeed, the term Dickensian has come to be used to characterize an element reminiscent of Charles Dickens' writings, often poor social conditions or comically repulsive characters. [Wikipedia]
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore