A CENTURY OF FASHION, by Jean Philippe Worth - 1928$150.00
A Century of Fashion
by Jean Philippe Worth
From the son of the great 19th century fashion designer Charles Frederick Worth, comes this remarkable account, a true narrative of the life of a French haute-couture designer. Exploring the personalities of all the key figures at the time, Parisian and foreign, the book relates the experiences and working methods of the artist, his difficulties and successes, and his relationship with the courts and monarchs he served. Written as a biography, this narrative is a fascinating and entertaining journey in the world of nobility, royalty and fashion in the Victorian times, as well as a revealing account on the tastes and demands of the various monarchs in the lifetime of the author and his father. Having worked for the most distinguished personalities of his time, Charles Frederick Worth and his son were acquainted with the Empress Eugenie, as well as many princesses and actresses for whom he realized countless masterpieces. The beautiful photographs never fail to show some of them in all their beauty and originality. 230 pages. 7.25 x 10.25 inches.
Illustrated with black & white photographs as well as paintings and drawings, some of which are in full-color. All illustrations captioned. Includes a foreword.
Published by: Little, Brown, and Company, Boston, MA, 1928.
Hardback is overall in GOOD condition.
- Volume is in overall good condition with moderate damage to covers from cracking and chipping, and minor toning inside.
- Black covers feature red title block on front with text and line drawing in faded gilt, and show some overall scuffing with small white stains on back.
- Covers display pronounced edgewear from rubbing, with exposed boards at corners.
- Upper corner on back also displays a small chip, while other corners show mild bumping.
- Spine features faded text and ornamentation, and exhibits chipping as well as cracking along shoulders and ends.
- Shoulder is splitting at lower end on a 1.75" line on front, a 1.5" line at upper end on front, and a 1" line at upper end on back. (See photos)
- Binding is fragile, with some cracking at front hinge.
- Back pastedown displays small bookseller sticker, upside down along lower edge.
- Illustrations are well-preserved with mild toning.
- Interior is well-preserved, with mild overall toning. Gutter occasionally shows some gaps.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Some pages exhibit minor edgewear.
- Text block edges are deckled along front, and have red tint along head, which displays some light scuffs.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore