MAN RAY, his first photography book - 1934 [1st Ed]$2,600.00
PHOTOGRAPHS by MAN RAY - 1934 [1st Ed] Paris full page images
photographs by man ray 1920 Paris 1934
by Man Ray
This first monograph of Man Ray's photos is divided into five sections: general subjects; the female figure; women's faces; celebrity portraits; rayographs. Each section opens with a page of text in French and English (or German and French) with contributions by leading figures of the Dada and Surrealist movements: André Breton, Paul Éluard, Rrose Selavy (aka, Marcel Duchamp), and Tristan Tzara. In addition, Man Ray also wrote a preface, and contributed a Picasso.
A number of famous faces are identified among the photos. Also include are a number of his experimental images, including solarisation--a technique he perfected reversing the tone on only parts of an image--and his self-labled rayographs, known today as photograms. Some consider this to be one of the most important photography books of the 20th century. 104 pages of B&W plates. 10 x 12.25 inches.
First Edition, purchased before the fictitious "2nd edition" notation was added to boost flagging sales. Undocumented sources note that less than 3000 copies of this book were printed. This is a well-preserved used copy of a notably fragile book, in exceptional condition. It can be found cited in "The Book of 101 Books: Seminal Photographic Books of the Twentieth Century" by Andrew Roth as well as "The Photobook: A History" by Parr and Badger.
Published by: James Thrall Soby, Hartford, CT. Distributed by Random House, NY and Albert Skira, Paris. 1934.
This copy is in better than average condition available on the internet and priced to sell!
Softback is overall in VERY GOOD- condition.
- Photographic front wrap is still bright.
- Plastic spiral binding is soiled and uneven, yet still secure.
- Back plain glossy cover is notably creased with a bit of dirt, smudges and other incidentals.
- Creases to back corners follow through to some of the pages as shown in photos.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- Some clean closed tears to pages (with a few repaired with archival tape).
- Some light smudges scattered throughout book.
- Most notable damage can be seen in description photos.
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
Man Ray (1890-1976), born Emmanuel Radnitzky, was a renowned representative of avant-garde photography in the 20th century and is considered as the pioneer of Surrealist photography. Ray's artistic work is very diverse. He was a painter, object artist, and a film maker. He was the very first artist whose images were more valuable to collectors than his artistic work. He therefore made a significant contribution to the elevation of photography to a form of art.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #artbooks #usedbooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore
- When you buy from us, we would greatly appreciate positive feedback to add to our ratings! Thank you in advance!
- We encourage you to contact us with any questions! We also welcome additional information on any of our listings.
- Other shipping options may be available. Please contact us for more details and information. Pickup is also welcome!
- Orders ship within 2 business days of receipt of payment, unless otherwise notified. Payment is due within 2 days of auction end to guarantee availability and price.
- International Buyers: Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges; these charges are the BUYER's responsibility. FULL VALUE will be declared on all overseas items.
- If your order hasn't arrived, or isn't as described, please contact us and we'll work with you to find a satisfactory resolution!